Mixing mids from 1 company with tweeters from another?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MCQuad
10+ year member

Hey guys, I have noticed that some people here have one brand of midrange drivers mixed with another brands tweeters. What is the point in doing that? I currently have a set of DLS R6a's in my doors and to me, the midrange is somewhat lacking. I was just curious about going with a dynaudio mid driver and keeping my DLS tweeters. Is that hard to do? Which crossover would I then use?

People mix drivers, generally, when they run active crossovers because they may like the midbass/ midrange performance of one company while another may make a tweeter that suits them, and they dont want to be limited to one comany's drivers and deal with their flaws and the xover sapping some of your power...or alteast thats why mine are mixed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Some people have had luck with using passives and simply replacing the drivers. Just make sure the ohm loads of the old and new driver match. (both 8 ohm or both 4 ohm).

What do u mean by the midrange is lacking? What amp are u using? are your doors deadened and sealed?

People mix drivers, generally, when they run active crossovers...or alteast thats why mine are mixed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Some people have had luck with using passives and simply replacing the drivers. Just make sure the ohm loads of the old and new driver match. (both 8 ohm or both 4 ohm).

What do u mean by the midrange is lacking? What amp are u using? are your doors deadened and sealed?
^^^ this in most cases ,on mine the cdt xovers are able to work on all cdt drivers and tweets .for example my old drivers on my set were 4 ohm ,and my new ones are 2 ohm.i called them and asked ,they said that they will work fine as their xovers are designed to work either way.

I mix because I like to experiment... and i'm audio-cheap (rather put money into my family than my car). My current front stage is a custom paring of the following:

264-1122_s.jpg

295-378_s.jpg

w17rc38-4.jpg

I am making new door mounts for the Silver Flute 6.5" woofers, and making new kicks for the Dayton Reference 4" full range/mid. The Vifa tweeters are in spheres.

I've ran many component sets over the years. I wanted a 3-way front stage and I don't want to spend a grand on one. I have a whopping $150 invested in the above set. I can make this equipment sound as great - it's all in the install.

I mix because I like to experiment... and i'm audio-cheap (rather put money into my family than my car). My current front stage is a custom paring of the following:
264-1122_s.jpg

295-378_s.jpg

w17rc38-4.jpg

I am making new door mounts for the Silver Flute 6.5" woofers, and making new kicks for the Dayton Reference 4" full range/mid. The Vifa tweeters are in spheres.

I've ran many component sets over the years. I wanted a 3-way front stage and I don't want to spend a grand on one. I have a whopping $150 invested in the above set. I can make this equipment sound as great - it's all in the install.
Indeed... But not all of us have your skill or the processing to accomplish this... So I will be a passive ***** til I die. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Indeed... But not all of us have your skill or the processing to accomplish this... So I will be a passive ***** til I die. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
eh, i could pull it off without processing. heck, i sold the H701. i'd prefer to eliminate T/A completely, and just play with crossovers and driver placement/aiming. yes, they will be active, but just so I can experiment with crossover slopes/settings... and because i have enough amp channels. many great sound stages were made in the 90's without digital processing. placement/enclosures/crossovers are key, processing is usually a band-aid. I may add a 1/3oct EQ though.

i am planning a few other surprises as well. like building fiberglass egg-shaped enclosures for the 4" and a 2" to play with locations and aiming (dash, kick, and door). I may even do an egg for the tweeter if i want the mids in the dash - just for aesthetics.

and if i don't like a driver - i'll buy something else. after i've perfected driver placement, size, etc. i'll spring for some higher-end drivers. till then, i'm still testing.

eh, i could pull it off without processing. heck, i sold the H701. i'd prefer to eliminate T/A completely, and just play with crossovers and driver placement/aiming. yes, they will be active, but just so I can experiment with crossover slopes/settings... and because i have enough amp channels. many great sound stages were made in the 90's without digital processing. placement/enclosures/crossovers are key, processing is usually a band-aid. I may add a 1/3oct EQ though.
i am planning a few other surprises as well. like building fiberglass egg-shaped enclosures for the 4" and a 2" to play with locations and aiming (dash, kick, and door). I may even do an egg for the tweeter if i want the mids in the dash - just for aesthetics.

and if i don't like a driver - i'll buy something else. after i've perfected driver placement, size, etc. i'll spring for some higher-end drivers. till then, i'm still testing.
Do u compete or plan to? Or is it just a fun hobby? You could probably do very well in competition

Do u compete or plan to? Or is it just a fun hobby? You could probably do very well in competition
a bit off topic... i would compete if it was closer to me. i want to make it to a few shows, but i'm so busy and travel so much for work - my weekends are family time. i just love music and it's my hobby. i like working with my hands.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.