New sub to replace JL 10w3v3

Which one?!

• Total voters

ksynnott
10+ year member

Hey all,

So I've been doing a lot of reading lately and have found myself at a standstill between choosing new subs for my 06 Accord.

Currently I have a JX1000 powering two 10w3 subs.

I have blown these twice now and realized that i need something a bit more durable.

I love the SQL of these subs. Awesome sounding, nice low deep bass, and they hit pretty hard considering. I am not the type of person to go into competition or anything like that. I am looking for something more in the terms of SQL with just a hint of SPL, maybe a bit more SPL than the W3s.

So far I have 4 subwoofers in mind. Keep in mind these are in a sealed box with .65 cubic feet for space each. I wont subject myself to crap like kicker, alpine, or any other of those crap big box store junk (besides JL but its a lost cause for me)

RE SExV2 10"

NVX XQW 10"(has anyone ever heard anything about them? I got recommended these. New company)

FI Audio x10

DD 2510C

SUNDOWN! SA10

or I **** it up and spend my whole piggy bank and do the 10w6 (I don't want to do that)

I have lost faith in JL.

I want to hear peoples opinions. I want something good. Something AWESOME.

Something that will last, have beautiful SQL as well as be able to have a heart attack of bass.

Lets hear it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying 2 come off like a total d1ck here, but if you're blowing subs then you are doing something wrong here... I've been in the game a long time and I've yet to ever blow ANY sub or subs up - And more times than not the amp(s) I run are total overkill for the subs I'm pushing with them... Just food for thought - I'd h8 2 see you spend more money on subs and have the same thing happen again - Something is definitely wrong here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Not trying 2 come off like a total d1ck here, but if you're blowing subs then you are doing something wrong here... I've been in the game a long time and I've yet to ever blow ANY sub or subs up - And more times than not the amp(s) I run are total overkill for the subs I'm pushing with them... Just food for thought - I'd h8 2 see you spend more money on subs and have the same thing happen again - Something is definitely wrong here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
^^ spot on, what are your amp settings? and head unit settings? are you using bass boost or a bassknob thingo?

I am using a JL Cleansweep.

My amp is a JX1000 and filter is 80hz, i do have a bass knob but its always half way. never over that. Any lower than 1/3 you cant hear it, and any over half i am uncomfortable doing so. Input sensitivity is set by my buddy who wired it. He works at a local car audio shop here in Calgary. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Next step is to kick the Cleansweep and get a deck and EQ. Only problem is that i need a custom dash kit for my Honda. I only listen to 320 or FLAC using Neutron MP on my S4 so its a clean source. No EQ off my phone just straight through the Cleansweep, into the amp and apparently TROUGH my subs. Also a Note, i turn my subs off when its minus 30 until my car and trunk space is heated up nicely then i start slowly engaging them.

I would have someone else set up your system. JL Audio has instructions for setting gains that anyone can follow. If the bass knob adjusts the level of the amp and not the bass boost, set the gain with the knob at maximum and use it to turn the bass down. You either haven't been properly instructed in how to use your system or it's not been tuned right and it's your buddy's fault AND your fault.

That's a terribly small box. I'd suggest getting a better box made (ported for preference) and a single good 12 (something with 3" coil). With an efficient box you won't have to over-drive your woofers to get the output you're after.

That's a terribly small box. I'd suggest getting a better box made (ported for preference) and a single good 12 (something with 3" coil). With an efficient box you won't have to over-drive your woofers to get the output you're after.
^^^What he said... Don't buy a prefab box, make your own or have one made by someone who knows what they're doing, made to the specs of whatever sub you end up buying. A single 12 can have as much or more and just as clean-sounding output in a well-built ported box as 2 10s in a sealed box. It will depend on the sub you decide on and how the box is built, though.

^^^What he said... Don't buy a prefab box, make your own or have one made by someone who knows what they're doing, made to the specs of whatever sub you end up buying. A single 12 can have as much or more and just as clean-sounding output in a well-built ported box as 2 10s in a sealed box. It will depend on the sub you decide on and how the box is built, though.
I got my box built to specs. Sealed .65^3ft. I read the instructions and have looked at my amp. It is what JL has said is good. Have even had conversation with a tech at JL. .65 for each sub is good. Any bigger and the sound wouldn't be as natural. w3s are very easy to bottom out, and i feel like they just aren't enough for the wide range of music i play. Keep in mind i'm in my car 4 hours in a day and am constantly listening to music. Also have taken 12 hr road-trips at half vol which hits pretty hard.

For you id say two c2 threatcon 2s put them in a 2cube sealed box and let them wang. They have a pretty good motor structure and an oversized coil that makes them harder to blow by clipping compared to the jls

For you id say two c2 threatcon 2s put them in a 2cube sealed box and let them wang. They have a pretty good motor structure and an oversized coil that makes them harder to blow by clipping compared to the jls
2cbfeet? Seems a little large don't it? They recommend .8cb in a sealed box. Trunk-space as well. Why have i never heard of all these companies before?

They obviously have good sh1t but why isn't there more of their stuff around?

Most of us on here don't use the main stream stuff because there is much more available for the price. Stick around and do a lil research, and you will begin to understand why we suggested the 'underground' stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...