Old fart looking for help going active

pmcbs

Hello all first post ive been lurking for about 3 weeks , last system I put together was 20 years ago. Man my dress is blown up all the choices. I’m trying to setup a decent sounding system for my 16 year old son. I’ve started with alpine 9887. It’s going in a 1996 chevy extended cab truck. I’d like to go active, NOW the bank of MOM is kinda limited SO. I’m looking for component speakers at around 150 bucks. I know it’s all subjective as far as what sounds good but I’m about 100 miles away for any high-end audio shop. Next the amp or amps also around 150 bucks, should I buy a 4 channel or two 2 channel amps to run the component set? We will be sealing and deadening the doors. When do you need to start upgrading the charging system? Then OMG the subs do we build a box or put them in the back side walls 8’s 10’s 12’s what works also like to get out of this for 300 bucks amp & subs. Sorry for all the question but my head is spinning from all the searching. He likes mostly metal and classic rock with a little hip hop.

I'm considering ID ctx65s and MB 4125 for the fronts.

I’m about 100 miles away for any high-end audio shop.
You're about two feet from the internet. Anything you want, you got.

Hopefully these guys will have some suggestions for you. I'm still hanging out on the old school setup because I still listen to the old school MUSIC. If you spend all day listening to glam rock, you don't need an active setup. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Funny enough you'll find that the stuff you know to be good from back in the day as far as amps and stuff go..... is still the best choice. They spent the last 20 years building them bigger, instead of better.

You're about two feet from the internet. Anything you want, you got.
Hopefully these guys will have some suggestions for you. I'm still hanging out on the old school setup because I still listen to the old school MUSIC. If you spend all day listening to glam rock, you don't need an active setup. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Funny enough you'll find that the stuff you know to be good from back in the day as far as amps and stuff go..... is still the best choice. They spent the last 20 years building them bigger, instead of better.
I'd agree except, not many of the "good" companies from back in the day are still the "same" company. I know you'll love the ID CTX and I hear decent reviews of the MBQ amp, good budget stuff. I think you have the start of a great system right there. Might I also suggest building your own box and looking at the ID subs, my personal favorite (run them in both vehicles) is the ID IDQ. They have EXCELLENT sound quality AND can "get down" too.

any sub will sound good in a well designed box. sounds like your budget/vehicle sits at a single 10 or 12 ported, somewhere between 500 and 1000 watts rms. probably closer to 500. not building your own box can throw a kink in cost considerations.

If your Alpine deck has 3-way DSP capabilities, then you're all set....you'd just need amps.

If not, then look at Kicker SX or the latest Kenwood amps that have DSP boards built into them.

Why buy a passive comp set of you're not going to use the x-overs?

What size midgrange/midbass will you use? Where?

How about the tweeters? Are the factory sails you can use?

How much fabrication work do you want to do?

You can get very decent sounding 6.5" mids, a pair of tweeters and a single 12" sub for $250. Spend the rest of your budget on cheap amp power, damping and noise control, and then put some time into tuning it.

Just get a 4-channel amp to run the fronts active, it will work fine, and be a smaller footprint, as there really is no need for the additional power supply etc that would come with running 2 2-channel amps.

Why buy a passive comp set of you're not going to use the x-overs?
Good question there.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif If I had it to do all over again, I would have chosen the SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G and CA18RNX set for my Civic and skipped purchasing multiple sets of boxed components. In fact, I am going to go with the Seas combo in my Civic at some point in the near future, provided I don't trade in both vehicles for a single car.

Guy thanks for the help, I indeed need to put alot more research into this build. I wanted to run 3-way setup in the doors something like 4in mid-range and 6.5 mid-base. Now the search starts again for quality reasonable priced components, don't know if those words go together or not. Man my kid is going to kill me, I’m dreaming of lots of work.

Just one word of caution, a 3 way active stage PLUS subwoofer is a tuning nightmare! If you enjoy pulling your hair out and cursing a lot, go for it. Just be warned that it is actually harder to tune than a 2 way active setup plus sub.

Now the search starts again for quality reasonable priced components, don't know if those words go together or not.
Yes they do. Which is why you're going to pay extra for brand-named component sets. Now don't everyone jump on my nuts for that statement; it's meant for within the context of this thread. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

And x3 on staying with 3-way active. To run 4-way, you're looking at at least another $500 in expenses, more like $1000 to really do it right.

for comps id recomend pg rsd for about 70$. sound amazing at a great price. and a 2 channel amp for them 100x2.

i have a 2 channel rockford amp for sale for 50$. link is in my sig

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.