Old man needs advice!!!

NMNXX

Hi everyone glad to be a new member. I have to admit its been a long time since I've been into car audio about 20 years to be exact. life just kind of got in the way, now my son has started showing interest and I need to catch up with the times. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. We are starting a build on his 2005 chevy trailblazer. He would like a touch screen receiver and is looking at the PioneerAVH 270bt. He would also like to go with 4 ten or 12 inch subs with the adequate accompanying mids and tweets. We are going to build the box ourselves to fit the trail blazer. I was always a Kicker fan back in the day but I could use some serious help to get back up to date. Thanks for your time!!!

Wellcome for starters, thats nice you guys are bonding over this horrible hobby lol. In todays age you have 2 options.

1. Go to walmart get junk and be happy

2. Get real equipment be amazed but be dead broke.

What is the budget we are talking about here? Maybe a single 18 or 2 15s would be better than 4 12s. Depends on your goals and how much your willing to spend

Been over 20 years for me too!!!! I don't think much has changed besides head units. Bluetooth, SD cards and USB ports have stopped the skipping!!!!!

Kicker is not what they apparently used to be. Stay away from that brand now.

I'd recommend doing some 15's or an 18.

Less drivers= less impedance rise. Also, less amp power may be needed.

Don't forget electrical upgrades!

well I think he is looking more towards 4 10s and eventually add a 15 or 18, budget is about $800-$1000 for subs and amp or amps and we may have to work around the budget a little here and there but would like to have an end goal and hopefully add on till we hit the goal.

Are you saying add a 15 or 18 to the 4 10's? Not a good idea to use different size drivers.

If you go high power, you'll need electrical upgrades, which will cost quite a bit.

Ohms law tells me that a stock 130 amp alt puts out 1800ish watts.

I'm upgrading to a 250 and that should put me at 3500ish available. An extra battery for those extra amps too.

It doesn't take much to need the upgrade, which ***** because its expensive.

To do a decently bigger system a bigger alt and agm batt's are essential(i'd look to buy used if you can).Alts are outrageous too.Good luck bro.Things have changed ALOT.Not all for the better either.

A really good thing to know would be the goal of your son's system. This would help a lot out with picking drivers and amps. Lots of times you can achieve great sounding loud system with good efficient drivers and an efficient amplifier. But of course you can move a lot of air with massive motor force and lots of power.

In most suv's, the bass is perceived as louder because of the lack of obstruction to the front seats, so a very well designed enclosure with smaller drivers could very well suffice. Your budget for a great set of 15's, an amp, and enclosure i pretty good. There are some very good vendors on here that could help out. My personal favorites are @denim ; with Sound Solutions Audio, @sundownz ; Sundown Audio, and of course Jim @mylows10 ; . Great customer service and help.

What are your goals here ? Are you planning any electrical upgrades ? If not that will

Limit you on power and the subs you'll need Anyway you'll need a big 3 kit and 0 gauge wire to power the amps. And u say amps because you'll need to amp the speakers to. Also you'll need a integration kit which is another $100+ for the deck. Tell you son to step up to the avhx 370 at least if not better. He'll get better output from the better deck. Look for 4v preouts and 3 sets of rca preouts for the deck. Pioneer is a solid deck and easy to use as well. If you need more advise or options feel free to contact me

I'd look into soundqubed hdc3 15's subs and a soundqubed 2200 amp if I was you on that budget. Which would put you a little over that budget but it will be a nice setup for the money. But youll still need electrical. You'll need the big 3 under the hood which is easy. tons of videos on YouTube about it, At least a good group 31 battery or two and a nice High output alt which jim-@mylows10 can get you. This is if I was on that budget though

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.