One Channel Down, please, help me troubleshoot - New Installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

PR Audio

I just finished installing a new car audio system in my 2006 Mits Montero Ltd. It had the factory Infinity system, which by my standards (home audio tube amp fan) sounds awful. Since I do quit a bit of 4 Wheeling and use the storage area of the vehicle, I wanted to keep everything in it's stock position; except for the amp.

The system is:

+ Clarion VZ-709 Head Unit

+ Infinity Kappa 60.9 CS Front

+ Infinity Kappa 62.9i Rear

+ JL Audio 8W1v2-4 8" Sub

+ Alpine PDX-5

+ 2 ea. Planet Audio 7" Screens Behind the Rear Seats

Everything fits perfectly in the factory location, and it was easier than I thought. The hardest part was taking apart the rear panels of the SUV to mount the subwoofer. The sub went in without any mods, direct bolt-on, and the same thing almost happens with the amp, but it didn't fit in the factory location by less than 1/2", maybe a smaller 5 Channel fits, but I wanted the Alpine, and was ready for this. So, I installed under the front passenger seat (lots of space for the Alpine). The front and rear speakers needed very minor mods to install on the factory location. The x-over for the front components fit on the door fine, and the tweeter fit the factory location. For the tweeters you have to heat the factory plastic cover with a blower or heat gun, then install and let cool, or make new ones in fiberglass, but that takes more skill. A component speaker with shallower tweeters, or 3/4" tweeter will be a perfect fit.

I connected everything, but one front channel is not sounding, only a faint sound comes from it. Thought it was the x-over, but apparently the problem is the pre-out from the head unit. Speaker on AMP Channel 1 will sound, but not the one on Channel 2. If I switch the RCA male cable going into 1-2 Channels IN on the amp, Front L/R, then Channel 2 will sound, but not Channel 1. This tells me that all channels on the AMP are working, and the problem is the Front Pre-Out on the Clarion VZ-509.

Checked the connections, and they seem to be correctly paired/installed. Any suggestions???

By the way, with just 3-Speakers working, and the sub, this system sounds awesome, and will recommend this setup to anyone in a budget of around $1,000.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it might be the rca cable that you are using for channel 1 could be bad, have you tried swapping them @ the HU instead of @ the amp?

Fiendstolemyamp...You were right, checked the continuity on all cables the Front L/R Cable had no continuity in one of the channels, checked the Rear L/R Cable, and it gave a weird reading on one of the channels. Disconnected the cables from the RCA's Out on the Head Unit, and the same at the Amp, connected directly a pair of Vampire Wires from my HT setup, and everything worked properly, so definitely the cables. Pulled out the cables, and both pairs were frayed and had cuts. Being a Sunday, my local electronics and car audio supply store was not open, so had to go to Radio Shack. Purchased 50 ft. of 24 Ga. Shielded Mic Cable, and solder RCA adapters, built my own cables and ran them through another location; now the system works perfectly. Thanks for your suggestion...

Fiendstolemyamp...You were right, checked the continuity on all cables the Front L/R Cable had no continuity in one of the channels, checked the Rear L/R Cable, and it gave a weird reading on one of the channels. Disconnected the cables from the RCA's Out on the Head Unit, and the same at the Amp, connected directly a pair of Vampire Wires from my HT setup, and everything worked properly, so definitely the cables. Pulled out the cables, and both pairs were frayed and had cuts. Being a Sunday, my local electronics and car audio supply store was not open, so had to go to Radio Shack. Purchased 50 ft. of 24 Ga. Shielded Mic Cable, and solder RCA adapters, built my own cables and ran them through another location; now the system works perfectly. Thanks for your suggestion...
You're welcome bro, glad you got it sorted out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.