~ One large amp, or two smaller amps? ~

OJP

US
I wanna run power to 4 speakers and one 12 inch sub. 6.5's(pioneer) in the front and 6x9's(mb quart) in the back, all coaxial. The sub I have yet to buy, but will soon. All the speakers are running off the HU right now and only getting 22x4

Option 1.) Run 2 soundstream amps: 500.4 so each speaker can get 125 rms and then also a 400.2 so that one 12 inch sub gets 400 rms.

Option 2.) Run one amplifier for all my speakers and the sub. This would be either a 5 channel amp or 6 channel with a bridged channel. I dont know exactly what amp I would be using but here is a list of the ones that would work I think:

a.) Audiobahn A5100T - 75x2, 125x2, 300x1

b.) Audiobahn A6601T - 75x4, 210x1

c.) Phoenix Gold 900.7 - 50x5, 1x400

d.) Autotek SX-777 - 75x6, 250x1 (dunno if u can bridge one of the 75's with the 250)

e.) Soundstream VGA800.5 - 50x4, 200x1

f.) JBL GTO755.6 - 60x4, 300x1

g.) Infinity 5760A - 56x4, 287x1

h.) Lanzar V-Pro 6300 - ?????

Give me some detailed opions please. Like what you think about each option like the pros and cons, or if one of the amps on that list is horrible and I should make sure I avoid it. Let me know everything you can think of.

Gimme all your guys' opinions

id say run 2 amps

1 4ch to power ur speakrs

and 1 1 or 2ch for ur sub (so ur option 1 seems good 2 me)

i dont know why, but maybe cuz iv never used em, but i dont like havin 1 amp for everything, i like 1 amp for speakrs and 1 amp for subs, maybe cuz if u want 2 u can get more power for ur subs if they have a dedicated amp

Well, I am leaning towards the JBL amplifier right now, to power it all at once.

The big problem for me right now is the sound of the speakers. They are gettin 22 watts rms right now and at higher levels they distort a little and the 6x9's start to sound goofy. so adding a whole nother 40 watts almost to it will make a hopefully big difference, even though they would still be under the rated rms level for the speakers(100 rms).

hey how bout some more opinions. theres like hundreds of guys here.

My vote goes to running 2 amps. It will make it much easier for upgrading down the road. Not to mention with 2 seperate amps you have 2 seperate power supplies which makes each amp a little more efficient. Just my 2 cents.

adam //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Well, I am leaning towards the JBL amplifier right now, to power it all at once.
The big problem for me right now is the sound of the speakers. They are gettin 22 watts rms right now and at higher levels they distort a little and the 6x9's start to sound goofy. so adding a whole nother 40 watts almost to it will make a hopefully big difference, even though they would still be under the rated rms level for the speakers(100 rms).

hey how bout some more opinions. theres like hundreds of guys here.

they distort at high volume on the 22w rms off the HU because of that reason, ther off the hu and they are prob gettin a clippin signal from it

run a amp at there 100w rms and set the gain correctly and they will be amazing compared 2 the hu power

k im jus curious is my info not helpful at all???
haha. acutally your info was very helpful. Im going to run 2 amplifiers now instead of one big one. thanks. So ive got it decided on 2 amps for sure now.

now, next amp problem:

Im going with soundstream. I dont know if I should get the 500.4 (125x4) or 320.4 (80x4) for my speakers.

Also I dont know whether I should get the 400.2(400x1) or 600.2(600x1) for my sub.

Let me know what you guys think about that

haha. acutally your info was very helpful. Im going to run 2 amplifiers now instead of one big one. thanks. So ive got it decided on 2 amps for sure now.
now, next amp problem:

Im going with soundstream. I dont know if I should get the 500.4 (125x4) or 320.4 (80x4) for my speakers.

Also I dont know whether I should get the 400.2(400x1) or 600.2(600x1) for my sub.

Let me know what you guys think about that

Well, since you didn't list any specific speakers or subs that you were getting, it's kinda hard to answer that. If you are smart, and know how to set a gain (not just using the gain setting tutorial, but also know when to set the gain a little lower and know when your speakers/subs are sounding stressed) then I'd suggest just getting the larger amps. If you have no clue what you are doing, get the smaller amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.