Should you run low power, large subs

JuiceTin

CarAudio.com Recruit
Texas
I was wondering if running low power say 600watts 15in subs is a good idea vs 600watt 12inch subs?
In general is it a good idea to run low power, large subs?

what are the pros and cons of large subs vs smaller subs

Last edited:
Not really a relevant argument. Two 12's, one 15, not a consideration as to which but what preference for what you want to do and the desired outcome. Power is relatively cheap these days, having plenty of headroom for 1-4 subs, not an issue. I would decide how many subs, what size, what they are rated for and get an amp that is 50% to double the RMS rating for the one or the combined total of multiple woofers. The key here is knowing what sound you want to end up with, what is the overall bijective of your build.

Last edited:
Not really a relevant argument. Two 12's, one 15, not a consideration as to which but what preference for what you want to do and the desired outcome. Power is relatively cheap these days, having plenty of headroom for 1-4 subs, not an issue. I would decide how many subs, what size, what they are rated for and get an amp that is 50% to double the RMS rating for the one or the combined total of multiple woofers. The key here is knowing what sound you want to end up with, what is the overall bijective of your build.
im working with a max power of 1200watts and was wonders which would be louder 12s or 15s, becauseit takes more power to run bigger subs right?

im working with a max power of 1200watts and was wonders which would be louder 12s or 15s, becauseit takes more power to run bigger subs right?

Nope, 15’s of the same style 12’s will be louder. More cone area. It’s all about if you have the room to fit 15’s, and the style of bass you like.

Nope, 15’s of the same style 12’s will be louder. More cone area. It’s all about if you have the room to fit 15’s, and the style of bass you like.
i got the room, and mainly just listen to rebassed music, now what about a single 15 on 1200watts vs 2 15s on 600watts

under $1k ported or 4th order and i got space to do a pretty large custom box

Here is the million dollar question, can you run 2000 watts or does it have to be 1200? Reason I ask is cause the quality of subs greatly improves once you get to the 1k mark per sub. With $1000 you can easily get two 15’s and amp no problem in the 2k category

I recommend your amp have 50% to double the rated RMS of your sub. With that in mind, a 2000 watt sub for the combined or single rating 1000 to 1250 watt RMS sub configuration. I run a Hooligan 3K to a pair of Focal 33v2s rated at 400 RMS each or 800 RMS combined. I got a deal on the Hooligan 3k after initially getting a great deal on an EXL 2500.1 which I sold and broke even on. I wire the subs to 8 ohms each,the run them in parallel at 4 ohms to the amp. This gives me a cool running amp that as with all amps, runs more efficiently at 4 ohms and has the best control (damping) of the woofers. I also have all four voice coils wired directly to binding post on the outside of the box via 5 way binding post. This allows me to show off occasionally by wiring the subs to 1 ohms and playing them to the limits of the 2 subs and the box they are in.

i got space to do a pretty large custom box
What does that come out to in cubic feet? This is kind of important.

Several companies do black Friday deals so you may be able to score a couple decent subs + a 1200W amp for a good price pretty quick coming up here. SSA usually has deals and they sell mostly decent stuff, I think there's other sites that will as well.

If you don't want to open the whole can of worms upgrading your electrical system, keeping this 1000-1200W neighborhood is going to be best and if you aren't very experienced and don't have money to burn breaking equipment you should not be running anything outside manufacturer specified limits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...