Questions about setting gain

Participant count
  • Participant list

skogie1
10+ year member

I'm new to this and my questions probably show that.

1. If the purpose of the gain is to set it to properly amplify the input signal (output of the HU) and the voltage output of the HU is known, why is setting the gain such a mystery? Why don’t amps just have marked settings for their gain dials that match the HU output? For example, my kenwood deck puts out 2.5v, why doesn’t my alpine amp have a 2.5v mark?

2. I see recommendations to set your gain while playing one set hertz level, but how does that relate to real listening? Real listening has all sorts of wave lengths.

Thanks.

he said output voltage of the HU not the amp
You set gain by adjusting the output voltage to match your ohm load. Unless you scope it. All the HU voltage does is dictact how high it has to be to get that desiered voltage. The higher the HU output the lower the gain.

You set gain by adjusting the output voltage to match your ohm load. Unless you scope it. All the HU voltage does is dictact how high it has to be to get that desiered voltage. The higher the HU output the lower the gain.
headache //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.