Raw Driver Recommendations

Participant count
  • Participant list

BobbyPin

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am looking for a set of 6.5/7 inch woofers for my doors and any reasonably sized tweeters that are under 400 dollars all in all. I will be running my 2 way fully active with a sub and I have some experience with tuning. The doors are already deadened and I will be sure to mount everything rigidly and avoid rattles or potential buzzing. I will be experimenting with tweeter locations and aiming, corners of the dash firing at the windshield/tilted, and sail panel aiming at opposite headrests/windows/headliner/straight across are all going to be tested. I am considering the Stevens Audio SA-1 tweeter ($99/pair) and the Stereo Integrity TM65 ($230/pair) based on a recommendation made by a friend, $329 total for all four drivers. A concern I have is with the mids in the door, as skiz warned me on Reddit that some drivers will not last long in that environment. My goal is a sq-oriented system, and I will not consider 3-way at the moment. Looking for a decent, noticeable mid-bass, doesn't have to necessarily pound my chest with each kick. I am open to any suggestions of drivers that will perform well for a similar cost. Other drivers on my radar include:

Tweeter
ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004 $140/each
ScanSpeak Illuminator D2004 $130/each
Scanspeak Discovery D2608 $105/each
SB Acoustics SB29 Ring Dome $72/each
SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G (H1396) 1" $45/each

Woofer
Satori MW16P-4 6" $170/each
Seas Prestige ER18RNX $132/each
SB Acoustics SB17 6" $70/each
SB Acoustics SB17 6" Carbon Fiber $110/each

I am looking for a set of 6.5/7 inch woofers for my doors and any reasonably sized tweeters that are under 400 dollars all in all. I will be running my 2 way fully active with a sub and I have some experience with tuning. The doors are already deadened and I will be sure to mount everything rigidly and avoid rattles or potential buzzing. I will be experimenting with tweeter locations and aiming, corners of the dash firing at the windshield/tilted, and sail panel aiming at opposite headrests/windows/headliner/straight across are all going to be tested. I am considering the Stevens Audio SA-1 tweeter ($99/pair) and the Stereo Integrity TM65 ($230/pair) based on a recommendation made by a friend, $329 total for all four drivers. A concern I have is with the mids in the door, as skiz warned me on Reddit that some drivers will not last long in that environment. My goal is a sq-oriented system, and I will not consider 3-way at the moment. Looking for a decent, noticeable mid-bass, doesn't have to necessarily pound my chest with each kick. I am open to any suggestions of drivers that will perform well for a similar cost. Other drivers on my radar include:

Tweeter

Woofer
All the drivers you listed are good options. The stevens and Si is a good option as are the SB Acoustics/Satori selected. Illuminators are all excellent as are most everything Tymphany puts out..

CDT, Si, Stevens, all good options. I have a air of the CDT ES1200is tweeters coming with are very nice too. $114. The CDT 6.5" woofers I have pair very well too.

The same driver can be had from their ebay affiliate for $239 a pair.

As are the 1200isf tweeters

Last edited:

Tweeter

Woofer

Seas midbass would be my choice on that list. For the tweeter the seas prestige is a nice budget option but I prefer the LPG 26NA aluminum domes. Like always sound is purely subjective so keep that in mind.

All the drivers you listed are good options. The stevens and Si is a good option as are the SB Acoustics/Satori selected. Illuminators are all excellent as are most everything Tymphany puts out..

CDT, Si, Stevens, all good options. I have a air of the CDT ES1200is tweeters coming with are very nice too. $114. The CDT 6.5" woofers I have pair very well too.

The same driver can be had from their ebay affiliate for $239 a pair.

As are the 1200isf tweeters

Thanks for the reply, until someone convinces me otherwise I think I am going with Stevens tweeters and SI mids.

Seas midbass would be my choice on that list. For the tweeter the seas prestige is a nice budget option but I prefer the LPG 26NA aluminum domes. Like always sound is purely subjective so keep that in mind.
Right always taking advice on speakers with a grain of salt due to personal preferences and unconcious biases that may interfere with reviews/ takes on certain speakers

Right always taking advice on speakers with a grain of salt due to personal preferences and unconcious biases that may interfere with reviews/ takes on certain speakers

Which is why when it comes to speakers, subs, and tweeters with how they sound, the best way to go is by trial and error. This can get expensive but it’s the only way to truly know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...