Second guessing my IDMAX15 build

The Brahma seems to be an awesome sub. I would orient the box with the port facing backwards and fairly close up to the hatch. A lot of times there’s a golden zone there with the port away from hatch distance. You might build a box facing everything rear, the 15 and port, and I would make it really wide from side to side. Regardless, I would definitely fire the port backwards and push the box up within a few inches of the hatch.

OP I just wanna give you a box idea. This box is for a Skar VXF, which would be Skar’s “SQ” sub, if they had one, lol. The shape of your box can be made to design pressure zones, to an extent, in your vehicle, to help the rear wave of the woofer load better in the box, and to control the flow of energy from out of the box to your ears up front:

I know that box is somewhat silly complicated for a ported box, but it’s like that to attempt to help flow the sound in a specific way; just an idea for you.

OP I just wanna give you a box idea. This box is for a Skar VXF, which would be Skar’s “SQ” sub, if they had one, lol. The shape of your box can be made to design pressure zones, to an extent, in your vehicle, to help the rear wave of the woofer load better in the box, and to control the flow of energy from out of the box to your ears up front:

I know that box is somewhat silly complicated for a ported box, but it’s like that to attempt to help flow the sound in a specific way; just an idea for you.

If I needed a box for a 15”, indefinitely would attempt to build this one!

Way too complicated for a simple ported box. That looks like a ported box fukked a t-line box. OP you don't anything like that silly box. A simple ported or aeroported will perform just as good as that box.

Your first statement is pretty much an oxymoron. Too complicated for simple. Buck didn’t say here’s a simple box design to use. He at least explained why the box was designed the way it was. How do you know this box won’t outperform a more simple box?

Your first statement is pretty much an oxymoron. Too complicated for simple. Buck didn’t say here’s a simple box design to use. He at least explained why the box was designed the way it was. How do you know this box won’t outperform a more simple box?

The minimal gains in that box wouldn't even be audible to most people. That port looks like it takes up entirely way too much displacement in the box which will choke the sub. With the port taking up that much room the box must be about 8 cubes gross.

That box was built and worked well, for the record, and the owner liked it. The shape/width of the box + the sub and port placement is more of what I was showing. Some people are the STD’s of hate that never go away.

That box was built and worked well, for the record, and the owner liked it. The shape/width of the box + the sub and port placement is more of what I was showing. Some people are the STD’s of hate that never go away.

And the box really isn't that big, because it's a small SUV. The box is only 3 cubes net or so. Sorry OP, just here's the box built by the customer who I made the design for, if there's any confusion:

I'm just an audio enthusiast trying to give ideas; I love bass and think the Brahma is a sub that'll really shine in the right box.

I would definitely fire the port backwards and push the box up within a few inches of the hatch.
You weren’t kidding…that did sound a lot fuller, at a lower gain level at the amp!
I couldn’t keep it that way because it made it hard to take a stroller in and out without possibly damaging the driver, and the dog couldn’t climb in the back.
but, it’s good to know that firing the port backwards is the way to go for my next box. Maybe it can be smaller on the baffle side (with the port and driver shooting back) and most of the volume coming from its depth? So, a fairly narrow and short box (maybe like 20” h x 25” w) but pretty deep?

View attachment 40055

I'm just an audio enthusiast trying to give ideas; I love bass and think the Brahma is a sub that'll really shine in the right box.

Wow, that sounds like a really cool design, purpose built for its use! Thanks from sharing, Buck! 👍🏽

You weren’t kidding…that did sound a lot fuller, at a lower gain level at the amp!
I couldn’t keep it that way because it made it hard to take a stroller in and out without possibly damaging the driver, and the dog couldn’t climb in the back.
but, it’s good to know that firing the port backwards is the way to go for my next box. Maybe it can be smaller on the baffle side (with the port and driver shooting back) and most of the volume coming from its depth? So, a fairly narrow and short box (maybe like 20” h x 25” w) but pretty deep?

What you could do is make a tall and deep box that’s narrow where the 15” is above the slot port on the bottom, or fire the sub up and port back with a deep and tall box pushed all the way to the right or left side, whatever you prefer. I’ve done that successfully, as well. I can show you, if you want.

The minimal gains in that box wouldn't even be audible to most people. That port looks like it takes up entirely way too much displacement in the box which will choke the sub. With the port taking up that much room the box must be about 8 cubes gross.

'Wouldn't even be audible to most people"

But what about the people it would be audible too?
That's exactly what I'm looking for... Whether it's my high's or my substage or my home set up.

The next level shiit..

Then give dimensions of the box. The cartoon drawing that you posted looks like there isn't any airspace left for the sub. It's also way too complicated for no reason. 99% of people wouldn't be able to hear an audible difference.45's are pretty much useless. They look nice but help very little if at all. Let's see the inside of that box while it was being built. I'll wait.

'Wouldn't even be audible to most people"

But what about the people it would be audible too?
That's exactly what I'm looking for... Whether it's my high's or my substage or my home set up.

The next level shiit..

I doubt that you would ever hear a difference. Maybe you have a one in a million audiophile ear who knows? There is no way that that box is going to be 3db louder or better than any other custom built ported box. You might as well build a t-line box after looking at that complicated ass box. Go for it man. Knock yourself out. I know a lot of bassheads with big badazz systems (150's - 180's) and they don't run boxes like that. A nice aeroported box would probably outperform that box every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I doubt that you would ever hear a difference. Maybe you have a one in a million audiophile ear who knows? There is no way that that box is going to be 3db louder or better than any other custom built ported box. You might as well build a t-line box after looking at that complicated ass box. Go for it man. Knock yourself out. I know a lot of bassheads with big badazz systems (150's - 180's) and they don't run boxes like that. A nice aeroported box would probably outperform that box every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Ain't saying ima build it but I won't hate on it at the same time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Bassthoven

CarAudio.com Recruit
Bassthoven
Los Angeles
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views