Soundqubed HDC315 (x2) Box Help

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey everyone. I'm running 2 HDC315s and am looking to build a new box. The one I have now Is just complete trash, I didn't put much thought into it and just slapped it together to hear them.

My plans are as follows- LOWS, with a little loudness. I want to tune to 32 hz.

My size to work with is 35L x 23H x 24D. So using 3/4 it'll be 33.5L x 21.5H x 22.5D. Gross volume is around 9.37 cubes. After woofer displacement it's sitting right under 9. Anyhow, my port is going to run longways, (33.5) but after adding braces will be 32 inches long. What height should it be? I read I should have 144 sq in of port area for these 2. And I put the height at 4 to make things simple. 12volt told me to have port length be 23 something. Does this sound correct? Thanks for any help in advance.

Hey everyone. I'm running 2 HDC315s and am looking to build a new box. The one I have now Is just complete trash, I didn't put much thought into it and just slapped it together to hear them. My plans are as follows- LOWS, with a little loudness. I want to tune to 32 hz.

My size to work with is 35L x 23H x 24D. So using 3/4 it'll be 33.5L x 21.5H x 22.5D. Gross volume is around 9.37 cubes. After woofer displacement it's sitting right under 9. Anyhow, my port is going to run longways, (33.5) but after adding braces will be 32 inches long. What height should it be? I read I should have 144 sq in of port area for these 2. And I put the height at 4 to make things simple. 12volt told me to have port length be 23 something. Does this sound correct? Thanks for any help in advance.
Your height would be the interior of the box height, which would be 20" So if your port width were 4" then you would have 80 sqin. You need port width of 7.25 to get to 145 sqin.

Hey everyone. I'm running 2 HDC315s and am looking to build a new box. The one I have now Is just complete trash, I didn't put much thought into it and just slapped it together to hear them. My plans are as follows- LOWS, with a little loudness. I want to tune to 32 hz.

thing with port length, it'll change everytime because your airspace will change. The smaller the box get, the more port length it needs to achieve lower tuning. You do not have enough airspace to properly run 144 sq inch of port area and get a low enough tuning. Most you get is 40hz tuning and an overabundance of port area per cubic feet.

With a 3 inch high and 32 wide port at 30" long, you'll get a 32hz tuning with 15 port area per cubic feet at 6.43 cubic feet, not counting additional bracing yet.

thing with port length, it'll change everytime because your airspace will change. You do not have enough airspace to properly run 144 sq inch of port area and get a low enough tuning. Most you get is 40hz tuning and an overabundance of port area per cubic feet.
With a 3 inch high and 32 wide port at 30" long, you'll get a 32hz tuning with 15 port area per cubic feet at 6.43 cubic feet.
This is a much better answer....

thing with port length, it'll change everytime because your airspace will change. The smaller the box get, the more port length it needs to achieve lower tuning. You do not have enough airspace to properly run 144 sq inch of port area and get a low enough tuning. Most you get is 40hz tuning and an overabundance of port area per cubic feet.
With a 3 inch high and 32 wide port at 30" long, you'll get a 32hz tuning with 15 port area per cubic feet at 6.43 cubic feet, not counting additional bracing yet.
So what should I do? Tune like this and suffer the less box volume?

So what should I do? Tune like this and suffer the less box volume?
you are not understanding me man. YOU WILL NOT GET CLOSE TO 7 or 8 cubes NET AFTER DISPLACEMENT with those dimensions and port area requirements with a low tuning and proper port area per cubic feet ratio.

the 12 volt calculator does not factor in how much the port takes up. You have to subtract that from your gross cubic feet and then input the new net cubic feet again in the calculator to get the new port length you and it goes on and on and on like a paradox.

smaller boxes need longer ports to achieve the same low tuning and sometimes you will reach a limit of how low you can tune.

you generally aim for 12-16 square inches per net cubic feet.

Depending on your music choice, you can choose to tune higher and gain more cubic feet. If you like lows and decaf then stick with 32hz. I'd tune higher for rock/metal/edm/mainstream pop

you are not understanding me man. YOU WILL NOT GET CLOSE TO 7 or 8 cubes NET AFTER DISPLACEMENT with those dimensions and port area requirements with a low tuning and proper port area per cubic feet ratio.

the 12 volt calculator does not factor in how much the port takes up. You have to subtract that from your gross cubic feet and then input the new net cubic feet again in the calculator to get the new port length you and it goes on and on and on like a paradox.

smaller boxes need longer ports to achieve the same low tuning and sometimes you will reach a limit of how low you can tune.

you generally aim for 12-16 square inches per net cubic feet.

Depending on your music choice, you can choose to tune higher and gain more cubic feet. If you like lows and decaf then stick with 32hz. I'd tune higher for rock/metal/edm/mainstream pop
I understand. It's just should I tune that low and have the less volume, will that affect the subs too much?

box being too small for those subs will make the lows suffer...gotta find a happy medium on port tuning/volume with the space you have to work with...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.