the smell of burnt voice coils

I actually built a box myself for one of the subs and I am running the Phoenix Gold amp on it and it pretty much just quit for the first time. Anyway I build a 2.3 cubic foot box I'll try to take a picture and Link it but I'm having issues putting pictures up on here. I think I am going to run both of my Subs in that base Works box that is tuned for 34hz. It just really bothers me because I know that box is not big enough for both these Subs and I noticed such a huge difference from when I was running both of them in that space Works box it's the reference rb212 I think with a glossy front for 2 12s. Now in this new box that I made this one sub is flexing hard. I know the wiring is correct I'm hundred percent sure on that. I just can't think of anything else that I might be could it be that the box I built is tuned improperly?
Set your subsonic right. You could easily be unloading them. That will cause them not to cool right.

I'm not sure of anything anymore. I have the box laid out in measurements and everything and I would like to post a picture but this site won't let me upload pictures to my profile or any threads

xBki6gLJW2M5fuKg7

Set your subsonic right. You could easily be unloading them. That will cause them not to cool right.
Care to explain how that works?

I'm not sure of anything anymore. I have the box laid out in measurements and everything and I would like to post a picture but this site won't let me upload pictures to my profile or any threads

You'll need to upload to an image hosting site and post links here.

Really those SA series woofers are rated at 750W for a reason, you can dance around with these guys talking about "clipping" or "dirty" and how many multiples of rated power Sundown subs will handle, but the bottom line is if your sub is getting smelly you're giving it too much power. Turn it down, buy different subs, or add the second sub back.

I think I finally got it if you guys want to check out that box that's the one I'm using for my sa12 right now
dude thats a horrible box design. The port takes up space as well. You are around 1.5 cubes after displacement tuned to 50hz. Your port is WAAAAAY too big causing the sub to unload its no wonder your sub is smelling. Its crying for help you'll kill the sub in that box

normally people shoot for 12 to 16 port area per cubic feet, you are at 35. 18 will already cause issues but 35... holy sh*t.

14.5 height 24 width, 16 depth and 13 port height 2 port width and 24 port length will get you closer to what you need.

Box looks pretty good by the way.
have you even ran the numbers? ITS HORRIBLE. Its well built for sure but the design is causing the sub to self implode. Its literally a burp box

but the bottom line is if your sub is getting smelly you're giving it too much power. Turn it down, buy different subs, or add the second sub back.
definitely not in this case. Any sub can and will die trying to play music in a burp box.

I want to build a box for both my subwoofers but I'm having trouble finding out, will pretty much a cut sheet. I could feel the box like a brick shithouse But I'm not good with the numbers. I've done hours and hours of research trying to find the perfect box and the perfect number is in the perfect port for that sub or those subs and it seems like everything I look at contradicts everything else I've already looked at. If I could get some solid advice on a box size and a port size and all that good stuff then I could try to figure out a cut sheet and make myself a great box. But obviously I'm still a noob when it comes to all this so I'm learning as I go and I'm hoping not to sacrifice one of the best subs I've ever owned in the process.

I want to build a box for both my subwoofers but I'm having trouble finding out, will pretty much a cut sheet. I could feel the box like a brick shithouse But I'm not good with the numbers. I've done hours and hours of research trying to find the perfect box and the perfect number is in the perfect port for that sub or those subs and it seems like everything I look at contradicts everything else I've already looked at. If I could get some solid advice on a box size and a port size and all that good stuff then I could try to figure out a cut sheet and make myself a great box. But obviously I'm still a noob when it comes to all this so I'm learning as I go and I'm hoping not to sacrifice one of the best subs I've ever owned in the process.
yeah whereever you learned to design that port, its completely wrong. That is more suited to a high displacement 15 inch sub or a pair of 12s and the airspace needs to be a lot higher as well, your airspace tiny after displacement. You have to account for the space the sub and port takes up. sundown has box designs on their website or get one of these 2 cube 35hz boxes

*OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum

If you want to do it yourself, Model the sub out on winisd and design the box with torres box calculator.

LEOAjf.jpg

Your guy's advice would be to take it out of that box immediately?
idk about that i haven't checked tuning, i will but yeah that ports a little big of that size box is if is 1.5cf ad 2.5" w woulda been better.. i'll check tuning but for safety u can set s filter at like 40hz.. brb

Your guy's advice would be to take it out of that box immediately?
laright man if box is INTERNAL 23.75 wide X 14.5d x 13.5h (internal) and port is 13.5x4" x 26.75 long it's tuned at 52hz., thats even high for comps.. see with port that big it with the sub disp. takes up 1 cf of the box, if u woulda made box bigger or port 2" or so as jeff said u would be right.. good news is box looks great just do another one with smaller port and that sound small to me if sa 12 i thought they needed bigger box but idk how much power u running and all., just check with us on port and box side before u cut wood.. and yeah i'd take sub out, i had a prefab box tuned to 60hz (15yrs ago before i knew about them) cones ripped.. set ss filter at 50hz until u get another box.. u would actually been better off to buy box like mine but 2cf at least it would be right sized and tuned right they $75..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.