Truck rear window help

Participant count
  • Participant list

KHARPS
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
IL
A few months ago my rear window seperated from the frame and it rattles like crazy and sounds horrible. I don't want to just replace it with another stock window and have the same thing happen again. What would you guys do in my situation? Would a lexan window flex less? Thanks.

100_2051.jpg

There is a tab on the back of that bolt and it connects to the rear window. The flexing of the window must have disconnected the window from the tab. I want a permanent solution that still allows me to have a rear window. So sheetmetal or anything else that isn't a window isn't an option. Truck is a 99 Ranger by the way.

There is a tab on the back of that bolt and it connects to the rear window. The flexing of the window must have disconnected the window from the tab. I want a permanent solution that still allows me to have a rear window. So sheetmetal or anything else that isn't a window isn't an option. Truck is a 99 Ranger by the way.
some sort of sealant and pressure on the back of the window while it dries is my .02 cents

I tried some JB-weld but I didn't have anyone with me to put pressure on the glass. I'll give it another shot with someone's help I guess. I've also seen people use gorilla tape on windows to cut down on the flex. I could apply it to the outside of the window where it meets the frame, you think that'll help?

i dunno if jb weld would be the best choice. RTV would maybe work...or a tube polyurethane sealant. Clean the area to be sealed before doing it too. Never used that tape either...

It is completely seperated along the bottom. I can put the slightest pressure on it and see outside inbetween the window and frame.

piece of sht azz phord, go figure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
Haha it's actually been an amazing truck. But they definitely dropped the ball on the rear window configuration.

Jeeze bro, still haven't fixed it? Lol

This is what I can think of.

Get some 1/2" Lexan cut to fit the window frame. Run some weatherstripping all around. Make 2 supports going from top to bottom but not to obstruct your rear view. Then either bolt or rivet the window into place and along the supports. I'd imagine it would still flex a little but not near as much or sound like complete **** when it does. From looking at that pic, there seems to be a big enough flange of metal along the frame that you could get everything in nice and neat.

Haha no man I've been down at school and it just kept getting put off. I'm home now so it's a priority...plus I have a new build coming soon so I NEED to get it fixed before that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.