Vintage car speaker selection

Participant count
  • Participant list

cbfatm

Sydney
Hi,

I own a classic Volvo that needs a bit of attention in the audio department since the car is a 1979 and original. It has the standard AM FM tape deck, with the original 4" speakers that are blown out. I would like to retain the original radio, but I would like to upgrade to some decent speakers. I read somewhere or I heard someone say that the old radio can be damaged by using too high of a powered speaker, how much of this is true? Or will the speaker output depend on the radios internal amp? Just your regular 2 way 4" name brand speaker will sound a million times better than how it does now. What should I go for?

Thanks

no such thing as "too powerful of a speaker", it is a common misconception. speakers are loads and are driven by the source. your only concern is the impedance of the existing speakers. you can measure resistance (which will be just lower than nominal impedance). use a Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) to measure resistance of one of the existing speakers (that makes noise, not one that is silent). most speakers are 4 ohm nominal impedance (3.3-3.6 ohms DC resistance).

for a head unit upgrade that looks stock with modern features, you can look at Retro Sound. Most Volvo's in that era had easily replaceable radios using mounting kits. Just note that if you ever do replace the radio you may have to rewire to each speaker if the factory radio is a common ground system.

Thanks.

For a noob like me, will the impedance be printed on the back of the speaker or is it definitely necessary to use a DMM? I don't know how to use a DMM. Should the speakers I buy be 4 ohm?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.