Vintage Mind Blower speakers???

Also once five or six of us bought them we would park and all put on the same radio station and turn em wide open ! The cops would hassle us for noise. Nothing else to do in a town with one stoplight. Lol

LOL hi i too have registered just because of this post and i would like to thank all who have commented on these wonderful speakers i have heard brands and such that have brought back great memories i personally never owned a set of mind blowers but they were all i heard about back in the day so i thought id search and low and behold it brought me here. would love to find a first set. thanks again everyone

I had a pair of Bozak 8" aluminum cone round coaxials I built two separate cabinets for in the luggage compartment of the old VW Beetle I had! I had a Pioneer cassette deck and a Jensen 30W per channel power booster/5 band equalizer and I could pull the two speakers out and place them outside the car for thorough sound pollution of the area! :)

John Kuthe...

I searched E-Bay for a set and wound up at this forum, so I had to chime in as well.

Ok, I am the guy that bought them from Otasco back in the 70's and installed them in my 72 Olds Cutlass Supreme (Rocket 350). I think the problem lies in trying to compare them to 21st century audio technology. That would be like comparing World Book Encyclopedia to Google.

Yes you can get specific results that compare but that's it.

But in the 70's there was OK audio equipment such as amps, graphic equalizers, Pioneer, Jensen, etc. which bring up the MindBlowers.

Yes they were cheap and over powered- try to find a set today and you'll know why they aren't around.

But before BTO Not Fragile- Rolling Down the Highway guitar rifts destroyed mine, they served a **** good purpose such as turning heads (Like today's bass), getting disturbing the peace warnings, and a good time with the Bud's which is what is trying to be done by the Yute's of today. My memory is still pretty good and the Mindblowers were good and especially loud speakers- for 6 months to a year of high power usage. Today we could fill up the whole auto with audio components but back then a set of speakers like these for cheap did the job.

Since I mostly listen to Talk Radio all I need now is a good set of Kicker's. Ha

Also check out BTO "Rock is My Life"

Regards,

Vinny

Dragon Breath makes a good point about the music source of those days. Definitely a very weak link for 12V audio.
As far as amplification, I suspect there's plenty of 30 year old amps (or older) that would sound just the same as anything today. The technology to make a flat playing low (at least inaudibly low) distortion amp is very old at this point. There's even some rather antiquated speakers that hold their own quite nicely.

That all said, some of these nostalgia guys really need to check out the state of the art. There simply is no way 70's stuff is better by any measure beyond efficiency, but these days power is super cheap and loudspeakers have evolved to take advantage of this.

This thread gets necro'd about once or twice a year so if anybody ever sees them or buys some they'll probably wind up here.
I had an early 1964 VW Microbus with a TUBE radio!! Click it on and wait a sec while it warms up! Of course it was not great sound, but still. I thought the tubes were cool!

And I "grew up" with my father's Macintosh 20 watt MONO tube power amp and a Macintosh tube preamp too, and Pickering phono cartridge on a turntable driving it into a 15" Altec Lansing Studio Monitor speaker in a furniture cabinet! It ROCKED!! :)

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...

Swear to gawd this is why we need to remove warning labels and let Darwinism play its self out^^^also why they made inbreeding illegal. Bet he shakes his oxy bottle to let his cousin know he wants to get laid. It's that Missouri mating call.

I little racist are we today?At least get the facts straight, it was Qualudes Lemon 714 and not oxy back then.

I think he was talking to John Kuthe, who is a known retard and possible inbred and famous for posting random off-topic things to hijack threads.

I really love this thread though. Mind Blower speakers were a little before my time but I have great memories of some of the early "loud" car audio I ever experienced.

I had a set of Tenna Mind Blowers, with a Pioneer Super Tuner in my 67 Plymouth....They were great for the day, and incredibly loud, BUT........They in no way compare to the Systems that are installed now days, not even most small systems....Now dont get me wrong, I hate the attitude that some people have about older stuff...We went to the Moon in the 60's using even older Technology...Point is they were awesome, the times were awesome, and yes our memory's are being fooled by the years, and the nostalgia of it all.....A 6x9 can only do so much, even a near to perfect 6x9, which they were not even that...Thats just plain physics......For a restoration they would be a nice touch.....To the original poster of this, your Dad was right they did kick *** back then......Some of us got pretty creative with our Car Stereo Systems, you had to, because you did not just run out, and buy everything off the shelf...Same with Car Racing.....

Tenna Corperation had something to do with them I think we would supply electronics and I worked for the company that would receive them from Mexico and Puerto Rico and ship them out so low and behold I had some in my 1957 F100 and car now I first heard them in the company Ford van which sounded good but that was old technology compare to now.

I will try tomorrow to take a picture of them for you.
I’m gonna try to post some vintage 6x9s on here tonight ..but none of the mind blowers unfortunately but some that will bring back good memories....here’s an old school teaser

n1sqhBr.jpg

After 30+ years in the back of a 79 Trans AM below

DEKvSej.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...