Want to go lower

You are fucking this man for the future. That head unit has 1 set of outputs so in the future he can not install speakers. It also has 2 volts outputs and a cheaper DAC. Woah you get 11 selectable tone curves vs. 8 big deal who gives two shits.
He obviously has a lot of money to buy speakers and amps for them at the moment. My point is he can hpf his speakers from the deck lpf the signal to the sub. I personally think alpine's user interface is head and shoulders above kenwood, and I think kenwood's quality isn't as good as alpine's. Also, if he would like to find the sound that he likes best, a few more tone curves isn't such a terrible feature to have. In summary, I think the alpine has a better UI, better aesthetics, more control from the deck over his CURRENT system, and better quality overall.

Not to mention kenwoods decks are not CEA compliant, and thus they tend to be over rated. Since he doesn't have an amp to power his speakers, the alpine is a better choice for RMS output as well.

So, what I'm saying is I think that for what he wants and can afford, it's my personal opinion that this deck would be good for him. I never insulted your opinion, so I don't know why you blew up like you did.

I've also got a Sony head unit, the CDX-GT565UP. Given, it's a bit newer and probably 'nicer' than the unit you're running, but it's been able to perform at all frequencies on any levels of volume I've turned it to. However, our situation is almost 100% different - I'm running a 15 in a custom built box. I'd pull out the cash for a new unit, then upgrade your enclosure whenever you can.

He obviously has a lot of money to buy speakers and amps for them at the moment. My point is he can hpf his speakers from the deck lpf the signal to the sub. I personally think alpine's user interface is head and shoulders above kenwood, and I think kenwood's quality isn't as good as alpine's. Also, if he would like to find the sound that he likes best, a few more tone curves isn't such a terrible feature to have. In summary, I think the alpine has a better UI, better aesthetics, more control from the deck over his CURRENT system, and better quality overall.
Not to mention kenwoods decks are not CEA compliant, and thus they tend to be over rated. Since he doesn't have an amp to power his speakers, the alpine is a better choice for RMS output as well.

So, what I'm saying is I think that for what he wants and can afford, it's my personal opinion that this deck would be good for him. I never insulted your opinion, so I don't know why you blew up like you did.
I blew up because Alpine nuthuggers piss me off when they recommend low line Alpine units. Low line Alpine units from my experience in my car and friends cars have been shit. The sound reproduction vs. other head units in the price range is pretty bad. They don't have a natural sound and come off a bit harsh. CEA is bullshit and with such a cheap head unit I would rather control HPF and LPF through the amp. Also you stated the Kenwood would play the speakers down to 30hz, BS it has a HPF unless for the xxx6 year they have gotten rid of it. A friend of mine has a x395 which can have the HPF set on along with LPF. Sorry for being an ass.

The higher the pre out voltage, the lower your gain on your amp is, which means the amp doesn't amplify it as much, which means it's a cleaner signal. So yes, prevolt outage is pretty important. But if you're getting 5v pre outs from any HU under $200 they're probably not actually 5v preouts. I'd get an entry level alpine deck. They're 2v pre outs, but they still sound good.
You are looking at it a little off. in all actuality, the voltage difference in the rca's stops at/near the gain pot. in a controlled environment, aka "on paper", there would be no real difference between a .2, and an 8v signal, given the gain is adjusted accordingly. where it comes in to play, is that there is almost always going to be noise in the signal line, which is usually a low level. the higher your base signal voltage is, the less voltage sensitive you can make the amp. in short, the signal range you are using vs the noise present/picked-up in the rcas gives you a higher signal to noise ratio with higher voltages. this is different than the SNR rating of an amp or head.

I really like Alpines and Kenwoods. Would those be a good brand? And would 5v pre outs be fairly important to better sound
are you open to other brands? how deep do you plan on going into your system? perhaps you should put off the head unit until you do more research and are confident in your own choice.

I'm personally not a big kenwood fan. I love my Alpine deck.
Alpine CDE-133BT In-Dash Car Stereo w/ Bluetooth, USB & Auxiliary

with this you can low pass your sub before the amp AND unlike the kenwood, you can also highpass your speakers so they don't try to play a 30hz note and sound like garbage. It has more equalizer presets, and I prefer the looks and I think alpine's HU's are more user friendly.

I've seen kenwood HU's in action, it takes like 5 minutes to find and play a song from USB, lol.
in my experience, both are just as bad, and i believe some even use the same laser/pickup unit inside. it all depends on the model you are looking at.
Do you know if your box is the right size for those subs? If it's a bit on the large side, you can always fill it with some polyfil...
you are back-wards there buddy. poly-fill basically has 2 effects, and one is to fudge the box to "look" bigger to the driver

actually, both the alpine and kenwood put out the same power. one option that alpine does offer, is the "module" amp that plugs into the back and is actually an amplifier, so you do really get more power from an alpine via "plug-n-play"..... however, you can take that alpine amp unit and simply cut the plug off and hook it to any head unit with speaker leads. i've played with both alpine and kenwood since the 90's. and my opiniions compare the units on parallel model levels. it sounds like you are pitting your high-end alpine units against the lower and mid kenwood units. i will say that neither are my top picks for brand.

the short list of both brands inheirent average known problems: kenwood: face ribbon failures, and sometimes lacking in processing, where you would think it should be. alpine: one constant with most alpines is a horrible base-line sound reproduction, which i would describe as being a stale sound that takes a lot of tweaking to smooth out. problems i have see with both: cd mechanism issues. i have seen both in any level of head unit having a motorized face snap discs in half. i've played with a bunch of kenwoods that take several tries to get the disc in or out, but you usually still can get it, just a pita. i actually have a stack of 5 alpine units (basically the same unit) that have mechinism problems that cannot function at all, and a few other alpines similar issues, even higher end models. the kenwood was the first i experienced snapping discs, and that was basically the highest model. so, basically, i see them about equal in mechanism problems. given the choice, i would take the kenwood for out of the box sound, but for a general suggestion in head units, most would be happiest with pioneer. they have always been a safe bet for general use. the buttons can be cheezy/flimsy on some models, but so many more people have been happiest with them in the general public. my favorite heads in the last decade are eclipse, but that is me.

I just looked at the FS for the Diamond D3 10's and they are high, you will need to put them in a big ported box tuned low.
honestly, if your head unit is working, i would go right to the box first. the subs and amp are nice equipment to build off of. the saying goes "10%equipment, 90%install makes the system" so, my main concern is to make sure you can feed the amp enough current, (lack of low-end bass at higher volumes could be that the amp is clipping) and that the box is tuned to give what you want. also, make sure your amp is tuned decent.

You are looking at it a little off. in all actuality, the voltage difference in the rca's stops at/near the gain pot. in a controlled environment, aka "on paper", there would be no real difference between a .2, and an 8v signal, given the gain is adjusted accordingly. where it comes in to play, is that there is almost always going to be noise in the signal line, which is usually a low level. the higher your base signal voltage is, the less voltage sensitive you can make the amp. in short, the signal range you are using vs the noise present/picked-up in the rcas gives you a higher signal to noise ratio with higher voltages. this is different than the SNR rating of an amp or head.
are you open to other brands? how deep do you plan on going into your system? perhaps you should put off the head unit until you do more research and are confident in your own choice.

in my experience, both are just as bad, and i believe some even use the same laser/pickup unit inside. it all depends on the model you are looking at.

you are back-wards there buddy. poly-fill basically has 2 effects, and one is to fudge the box to "look" bigger to the driver

actually, both the alpine and kenwood put out the same power. one option that alpine does offer, is the "module" amp that plugs into the back and is actually an amplifier, so you do really get more power from an alpine via "plug-n-play"..... however, you can take that alpine amp unit and simply cut the plug off and hook it to any head unit with speaker leads. i've played with both alpine and kenwood since the 90's. and my opiniions compare the units on parallel model levels. it sounds like you are pitting your high-end alpine units against the lower and mid kenwood units. i will say that neither are my top picks for brand.

the short list of both brands inheirent average known problems: kenwood: face ribbon failures, and sometimes lacking in processing, where you would think it should be. alpine: one constant with most alpines is a horrible base-line sound reproduction, which i would describe as being a stale sound that takes a lot of tweaking to smooth out. problems i have see with both: cd mechanism issues. i have seen both in any level of head unit having a motorized face snap discs in half. i've played with a bunch of kenwoods that take several tries to get the disc in or out, but you usually still can get it, just a pita. i actually have a stack of 5 alpine units (basically the same unit) that have mechinism problems that cannot function at all, and a few other alpines similar issues, even higher end models. the kenwood was the first i experienced snapping discs, and that was basically the highest model. so, basically, i see them about equal in mechanism problems. given the choice, i would take the kenwood for out of the box sound, but for a general suggestion in head units, most would be happiest with pioneer. they have always been a safe bet for general use. the buttons can be cheezy/flimsy on some models, but so many more people have been happiest with them in the general public. my favorite heads in the last decade are eclipse, but that is me.

honestly, if your head unit is working, i would go right to the box first. the subs and amp are nice equipment to build off of. the saying goes "10%equipment, 90%install makes the system" so, my main concern is to make sure you can feed the amp enough current, (lack of low-end bass at higher volumes could be that the amp is clipping) and that the box is tuned to give what you want. also, make sure your amp is tuned decent.
Thank you. I hate how alpine units sound and pioneer although shit look are a safe bet like you said.

Money really is an object here but I'll.probably go ahead and get the box. Id be willing to broaden my horizons and try a new HU if you can recommnd a good one for not too much more.money.

Save up and buy a good head unit. I've had several units, pioneer, kenwood, clarion, etc. I finally just saved up a little bit and got the 80prs. @ the price I got it, arguably the best car audio purchase I've made thus far.

A used Alpine CDA-117 will have all the options you'll need for a long, long time, and only run you slightly more than a new bottom of the line Alpine.

Alpine CDA 117 CD USB MP3 in Dash Receiver 793276711656 | eBay

They are running a bit higher in price than usual, you can find one for 170$ shipped sometimes. Just have to keep on eye out.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

30-32Hz if you like to play Lows most of the time, 33-35Hz if you play a real mix of music all the time, as a rule of thumb.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.