What wiring harness do I need to buy?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cheeto
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just took the head unit out of my car and realized that I'm too scared to cut any of those wires, so I'm gonna save myself the chance of ****ing up and get a "smart cable" as this site calls them... I'm looking at the one that says to

to Honda SY16-1720

But I'm not sure it does what I need... Where would I buy a wiring harness that has a female plug that accepts the original to radio plug thing, and has a male output for the pioneer's head unit harness?

so it looks like this if this helps

Honda Pioneer

female to accept hu harness----------------------------------male to plug into the hu

Cute little text illustration isn't it

in general the male plug is already in the vehicle, the one that plugs into the stock hu, then you buy the female harness that plugs into the stock female harness, this then has loose wires that you can connect to your new hu or new hu's proprietary harness... you won't find a harness that plugs into the stock car plug and the pioneer hu straight up, i'd check out http://www.installer.com/wires/ i think this is what you are looking for...

ok, sorry for the dipshit questions but here goes.

So does that mean, that in my case, I'd need to get the Honda 98-up into car plug?

Also, I went and bought some ass connectors today... highest gauge I could find was 22, radio wires should work with that right? They looked around 22-24 ga. Ass connectors will work with what I'm trying to do right? I got some wire caps just in case... Thanks again.

Well I don't know what car you have so you are kinda on your own with the harness, most of the harnesses have a pretty good list of what cars they will work for, and if that doesn't work I say google the part number try to find a pic that shows the pin layout and then compare it with the one in your car... by ass connectors i assume you mean butt splice connectors? They will probably work, but most home improvement stores will carry a decent variety of the connectors if they turn out to be the wrong size, ie home depot menards ect.

Well I don't know what car you have so you are kinda on your own with the harness, most of the harnesses have a pretty good list of what cars they will work for, and if that doesn't work I say google the part number try to find a pic that shows the pin layout and then compare it with the one in your car... by ass connectors i assume you mean butt splice connectors? They will probably work, but most home improvement stores will carry a decent variety of the connectors if they turn out to be the wrong size, ie home depot menards ect.
Ok, thanks a lot for the help. Btw what do you play in wow? With a name like Azeroth you gotta play wow :>

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.