Why do a lot of sub companies use the same basket

I really have no idea what there banking nor do i care, I just noticed that a lot of the underground stuff has a price range that's right up there with the name brands so to pay a little more to have it NOT look like 4-5 other company's woofer is worth it to me. Not saying the mainstream stuff is better just different.
"underground"...? lol

I would hardly call anything like AQ, Sundown, Fi, etc... "underground". May be if you are in a high school parking lot looking at systems but when you go to comps, the majority of people are running these "underground" brands. The general population doesn't know about them because the general population just goes by what they hear/see on t.v. or what the shops tell them is "the best" etc...

A few years back when I first ran AQ (HD315's) no one around here had even heard of it and therefore they thought it was ebay junk or something. When I started piss pounding R.F., JL, JBL, Infinity, Kicker etc... people took notice. I have a lot of people come to me for advice now days, when you are paying $8/ft for wire, $500+ for a 15" sub, $1000 for a "2000 watt amp" etc... you expect your **** to be loud. Then you go to a comp and get your ass handed to you by a guy with an entire system that cost about the same as your amp and you wonder WTF just happened.

As far as the mass produced baskets... why not? most people don't care what the sub looks like because it is usually INSIDE THE BOX and cannot be seen. We also don't care because you jackasses pay twice as much to "look different" and then make it easier for us at the comps.

it is expencive to tool a new basket and really no need to when a 12 spoke allows plent of clearence and cooling. it was known as the mtx 12 spoke cause they started it. what happens is a co pays for a basket to be made but they have to pay extra to hold the rites to it or the foundry can sell them. the 12 spoke is a very strong basket. and a steel basket dosent lower the motors strength at all...
Taken from here: Parts of a Subwoofer - Realm of Excursion

"Baskets---There are 3 styles of baskets. The basket does not effect

the sound or performance at all except for stamp steel frame baskets

where they take away from the strength (gauss) of the magnet a little bit."

Why even argue?

Wow people get mad as hell if you don't love the brands they love how about to each his own you buy what you want and I will buy what I want, and by underground I mean your not going to walk into every audio store(at least in my area) and ask for one of those brands and be able to get it, and the couple times I have seen it in my area it was more then I spent on a NEW T2 15" or T1000.1bd so i really don't see a difference other then being able to swap parts.

Wow people get mad as hell if you don't love the brands they love how about to each his own you buy what you want and I will buy what I want, and by underground I mean your not going to walk into every audio store(at least in my area) and ask for one of those brands and be able to get it, and the couple times I have seen it in my area it was more then I spent on a NEW T2 15" or T1000.1bd so i really don't see a difference other then being able to swap parts.
Im not mad, and I dont know or care what brands you love. I was simply stating that you really dont know what you are talking about in this thread. I wasn't knocking your brand choice, I was knocking you personally.

The tooling alone for the die for a new casting can run close to $60K. DD came out with their new Basket a few years ago and iirmc they had the rights to it for 2 years before other companies could use the same basket.

Plus most, if not all baskets are made in china!

Most people don't really understand how much it actually costs to tool up a frame... and for the majority of speakers out there the 12-spoke / 4-spoke has plenty of clearance. When you have a frame that is available that does what needs to be done it doesn't make sense to tool a new one.

More money can be put into something that matters alot more... like the coil, spiders, cones, etc.

^ so it looks cool inside ur enclosure,lol.

you know how much a steel basket pulls from the top plate, cast alum is stronger that is why it is used. i want to see baskets cast from mag so when the woofer gets hot the basket starts on fire and adds madd dbs...

Most people don't really understand how much it actually costs to tool up a frame... and for the majority of speakers out there the 12-spoke / 4-spoke has plenty of clearance. When you have a frame that is available that does what needs to be done it doesn't make sense to tool a new one.
More money can be put into something that matters alot more... like the coil, spiders, cones, etc.
At some point for the sake of being different it would be good to use different spiders for your subs.

It's expensive to custom tool your own basket unless you have ecnonomies of scale - hence why a lot of the smaller companies use similar baskets. Saves a lot of money over going the route of RF and the mass marketed stuff. The real performance comes from motor design and soft parts anyway so what does it matter what the basket looks like unless you're doing an install for an audioblah car. That money saved on baskets can be used towards improving performance. Anyone who picks the "better looking basket" subwoofer over the better performing subwoofer either doesn't care about performance or gets swept in by marketing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.