Wiring for a amp cooling fan

jlman you had me there . I did not think when posted that message .

After I read it I thought the the same thing . All is forgiven . Thanks for all your info .

ramos again thank you for all your help

OK . I bought my fan today now I was wondering what size fuse would be good . It says on the fan that it is 0.16 amp and 1.9 watt . I was thinking of going with about a 1 amp fuse . Is this ok or do I need more/less ?

Originally posted by Ynot:OK . I bought my fan today now I was wondering what size fuse would be good . It says on the fan that it is 0.16 amp and 1.9 watt . I was thinking of going with about a 1 amp fuse . Is this ok or do I need more/less ?

I try a quarter amp first. Then if it blows which it shouldn't go to a half amp.

hey ynot...

hooking a fan to your amps turn on and ground wires may cause some noise (like alternator whine). it happened to me... you're better off running a dedicated line and using a relay.

ramos again thanks for the info and MxRacerCam thank you for the heads up . I would have been really upset to hook every thing up and then had a whine . I got a relay but I am not sure if it will work . It has four terminals . Is that enough if I want to also hook a toggle switch to it ?

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Ynot ]

yeah, a standard four post automotive relay will work fine. if you're going to run a swith, put it inline from the power source to the relay, not from the relay to the fan. an easier way would be to ditch the switch and have the amp turn on be the switched power input (and thus the automatic switch) on the relay. doing it this way will have the fan come on automatically when the amp powers up, that way you won't forget to turn the fan on until after its gone into a thermal protection mode.

I was wondering if it would be to much to wire something so that u dont have to worry about turning it on and off just what i thought just since it doest take much power.

Originally posted by liwaj79:I was wondering if it would be to much to wire something so that u dont have to worry about turning it on and off just what i thought just since it doest take much power.
It's not a problem to use the turn on lead. Just make sure you use a relay. Otherwise you run the risk of burning up the remote lead from the head unit. Although it may not seem like alot of current. Most remote leads are only rated for a few hundred milliamps. Which is not very much power at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.