Wiring questions 1500w rms

FLORIDABOY561
10+ year member

I got a powerbass class D amp that runs 1500 rms at 1 ohm.. I have a 1992 honda civic hatchback and am having some problems.. my system SOMETIMES turns on and then cuts off after about 15 seconds of hitting hard.. wont come back on.. none of the fuses are blown at all in the car.. I have a question about the big 3 first.. If I understand I need a fuse in the wire that runs from the alternator to the positve battery terminal? I am not sure what my alternator is rated to but I want to put 0 gauge wire under the hood..I just dont want to fry anything in my electrical system.. I guess im just getting mixed messages between here and the tutorials i have been watching on youtube.. what kind of fuse do I need to run between the alternator and battery with 0 guage? greatly appreciated thanks

I have 4 gauge wire running from the battery to the amp, and the gains part I don't know. I actually had a professional tune the amp I had it in another car but sold it, so I just took my amp and subs and left them the way they were.. So I don't need a fuse? but isnt that bad if something shorts out then my system will get fried wont it?

Go to your local Carquest and buy a deka group31 battery to wire in the back You will never have this prob again and you most likely will stop your amp from releasing the magic smoke.

I would also sell that run of 4 gauge and hop up to some 1/0

But if I were running a seperate battery in the back of the car also, wouldnt that just drain the battery very quickly since its not hooked up to an alternator or as long as that 2nd battery is grounded than it should be ok? I Dont know much about wiring/ batterys, dont mean to question you just tryin to understand

But if I were running a seperate battery in the back of the car also, wouldnt that just drain the battery very quickly since its not hooked up to an alternator or as long as that 2nd battery is grounded than it should be ok? I Dont know much about wiring/ batterys, dont mean to question you just tryin to understand
It's easy just run your power cable from the + of the front to the + of the rear batt then ground the rear batt in the trunk.

alright, so there will be 2 power cables running from my 2nd battery. 1st one on the positive to the amp, 2nd from positive to front battery postive. does that mean I shouldnt upgrade my alternator?

It's easy just run your power cable from the + of the front to the + of the rear batt then ground the rear batt in the trunk.
Wouldnt he need 2 of the same batteries to do this?...Also the 70 amp alternator might not be enough to keep 2 batteries charged...

Also about the 4 gauge amp wire to 0 gauge. He would need a distro block for that since I dont think a 1500 watt amp has a big enough terminal to put 0 gauge into. Mine is a 1500 rms audio pipe and the biggest wire it can hold is 2 gauge.

ALSO another reason as to why it could be doing what its doing...he might not have the amp grounded good enough. When your amp cuts off does it go into protect? Assuming it has a protect light that turns on when its in protect.

yeah the amp does go into protect mode, mabye I need to try grounding it better. my amp can hold 0 gauge wire also. Im going to try grounding it better and see what happens.

Since the problem occurs when "hitting hard" it is possible that the 70amp alt and his under-hood batt are not able to maintain suitable voltage for the amp. The amp will go into protect when voltage drops too low. He could always measure his voltage to find out. A second battery in the back can help by having a reserve. However, a battery is like a band-aid. A better alt would cure it (given that this IS indeed the problem and the under-hood batt is of quality.)

Ground could be suspect as well. But i'm guessing it's voltage, non related to the ground. Just make sure your ground is as short as possible if mounted to the chassi and on bare metal.

I didnt do the ground properly because its not on bare metal. there is paint under it. I am going to do the big 3 , just wanted to know also is it ok if I ground the amp with 0 gauge and have 4 gauge power wire?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.