wtb JBL/ID components new or used anyone here i dealer?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
looking for either the CTX-6.5CS, p660C or MS-62C(preferably used for this one budget reasons)

new or used is fine.

if i get multiple offers, i'll need some persuasion lol. I'm on the fence between having something geared for nice sounding midbass or having something with great clarity and detail.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I hear the MS-62C would sound the clearest out of all of them but midbass is something to be desired by "basshead" standards.

the p660C would get the loudest out of them, a little bit less refined then the ms-62c but it has potential for okay midbass.

I'm pretty clueless on the sound signature of the ID set though, I read from DIYMA they have good midbass but sound a little bit hollow compared to the jbls

All of these sets are no slouches in the clarity department but i'm just curious what you guys prefer.

I've got the MS62c's in my explorer- don't have the tweeters installed yet, but the mids are Very nice (I've been using a set of DD T2 soft domes until I finish glassing my pillars- they go together alright, but I'm more of a neo guy vs soft dome tweet most days).

Choices came down to those ID comps and these when I was trying to decide on a nice pair with budget constraints. I know princ3cmo has the CTXs in his camry and likes them (even though he never deadened his doors because he's lazy).

Really the deciding factor for me were the push terminals on the mids to the jbls. Felt like it made life easier for some reason

Jeff, I Frankensteined my MS components and think it gave me the best of both worlds when I swapped the mid for the PHD FB 6.1 (not the Pro). As I stated in the C5 thread yesterday, run as intended, they're very well made and have a nice, laid back presentation. Those tweeters are the best thing about the set entirely. The mids, however, don't have the same punch and authority as the P660 or the PHD when playing material below 100Hz. It's there, but it's not the same kind of at-a-live-concert feel you'd normally get from JBL. Ironically enough, though, acoustic instruments are what make the set stand out and I think it has to do more with where the passive crossover points lie. I just managed to kick things up to the next level when I swapped the mids for those PHDs. Keeping the MS tweet allowed me to keep things nice and airy on the top end, but now I have plenty of presence for stuff like crunch guitar and bass on the bottom end.

As for ID, I'd look right past the CTX and move up to the CXS if that's the route you want to go. IMO, it's a closer match to the MS while the CTX would be a closer match to the P660. I'll also throw out using the ID XS midbasses with horns or a tweeter of your choice if you're willing to run active. Not having heard the tweeters on the PHD FB set, I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend those even if the dealer network is a little wonky.

If you want an audition of the setup I have now, shoot me a PM. I'm probably about an hour away from you but don't mind you bringing up some listening material and giving the set a run for its money. Just let me know. OC to the valley isn't too far away.

Also considering this is a wtb, don't hesitate to bring up any speakers you're willing to offer in trade. If you like the set enough, I can remove them in the driveway and mail out the box, mids, and hardware when I get to WA. I'd be looking for either cash, coax, or comparable passive 6.5" components (or any combination thereof).

Jeff, I Frankensteined my MS components and think it gave me the best of both worlds when I swapped the mid for the PHD FB 6.1 (not the Pro). As I stated in the C5 thread yesterday, run as intended, they're very well made and have a nice, laid back presentation. Those tweeters are the best thing about the set entirely. The mids, however, don't have the same punch and authority as the P660 or the PHD when playing material below 100Hz. It's there, but it's not the same kind of at-a-live-concert feel you'd normally get from JBL. Ironically enough, though, acoustic instruments are what make the set stand out and I think it has to do more with where the passive crossover points lie. I just managed to kick things up to the next level when I swapped the mids for those PHDs. Keeping the MS tweet allowed me to keep things nice and airy on the top end, but now I have plenty of presence for stuff like crunch guitar and bass on the bottom end.
As for ID, I'd look right past the CTX and move up to the CXS if that's the route you want to go. IMO, it's a closer match to the MS while the CTX would be a closer match to the P660. I'll also throw out using the ID XS midbasses with horns or a tweeter of your choice if you're willing to run active. Not having heard the tweeters on the PHD FB set, I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend those even if the dealer network is a little wonky.

If you want an audition of the setup I have now, shoot me a PM. I'm probably about an hour away from you but don't mind you bringing up some listening material and giving the set a run for its money. Just let me know. OC to the valley isn't too far away.
thanks for the detailed reply man. I was looking to stay within the 200 dollar range so the cxs would be out of my budget. I'll see if i have time away from my work and family to make a trip up there. Only thing i have to trade would be cdt es-06 mids and alpine type S coax what would the cash value be for your phd fb/ms-62 combo?

If what you have now is $200, I would be willing to go with that for now. Then, assuming you'd want the rest of the pie in a couple weeks, you could send me payment for the MS mids/tweeter hardware as well as a little for shipping.

I'll be honest that I'm taking a loss, but you've helped a friend of mine down in OC (mr b) and I'm just returning the favor. I'll worry about replacements later. I'll shoot you a PM with my number so we can continue this over text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...