3 way component build

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello I'm new to this site and am seeking advice on building a 3 way component system and these are the options i would like to pursue.

Option 1 is i have a focal 5 1/4 2 way component system and would like to ad an 8'' midrange driver to this and was wondering if there is a 3 way crossover I can buy to have the 3 way component setup so I run these speakers off of 1 channel as opposed to adding an amp for the additional 8" midrange driver.

Option 2 would be to buy a new setup if anyone has some creative ideas it would be very helpful and please keep in mind that i don't have $800-$2000 to spend on a component set thanks

Focal has several 3-way sets with passive crossovers of which you can get just the xover alone. Part #XO /165AS3 should cost you bout $70.00 bucks or so from an authorized Focal dealer.....

You could get better sound by running the 8" mids active on their own amplifier channels, and add a digital signal processor to set up the crossovers, time alignment and EQ. CDT makes 2 crossovers that could be used with 8" and 5-1/4" speakers plus a pair of tweeters, but you need to consider more than just the crossover settings. Impedance matching is also important, and mixing and matching speakers with passive crossovers is a poor idea.

So if you can answer this question I would appreciate it.

I have an Xtant 4004a that has 50 watts pet channel in 4 ohm and 100 watts per channel in 2 ohms, so would it be a bad idea to run the 8s on the same channels as the focal components and I would be running those 2 channels in 2 ohm load? If I did this would affect the performance of any said equipment and if needed I could get an equalizer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.