8" Sub With 4.5" Mounting Depth

I did a downfire box recently for a 2004 f150. super small area under the rear seat. Was able to squeeze almost 1 cube in going all the way across. He used horrible 10 inch Rockville shallow mount subs though unfortunately. Really small space under those rear seats. I tried everything I could to talk him into going sealed, but he insisted on ported, even though there isn’t enough room to effectively port a 10 inch sub under there. Ended up with .9 cubes tuned to 38 HZ. I recommended plugging the port at some point and trying the JL shallow mounts sealed. I think he’d get a much better sound. It’s very difficult to convince 17 year old kids that Facebook doesn’t give the best advice.
View attachment 55201
Wait... Facebook isn't a good source of knowledge???

I did a downfire box recently for a 2004 f150. super small area under the rear seat. Was able to squeeze almost 1 cube in going all the way across. He used horrible 10 inch Rockville shallow mount subs though unfortunately. Really small space under those rear seats. I tried everything I could to talk him into going sealed, but he insisted on ported, even though there isn’t enough room to effectively port a 10 inch sub under there. Ended up with .9 cubes tuned to 38 HZ. I recommended plugging the port at some point and trying the JL shallow mounts sealed. I think he’d get a much better sound. It’s very difficult to convince 17 year old kids that Facebook doesn’t give the best advice.
View attachment 55201

That is a nice box!
He could opt for an 8" for that, or glass it to get the extra acreage. Either way, you will never defeat FB. At the end, however, as long as he's happy with it, let him run with it.

The one I saw today was someone telling me that they need to change out their spark plugs because their knocking when they don't use 93 octane on their stock engine, and tunes are only for e85 and race fuel.
LOL - making it up as they go. Then he's going to break off a spark plug in the head and cost himself a ton of money when he could have just used 93 octane.

That is a nice box!
He could opt for an 8" for that, or glass it to get the extra acreage. Either way, you will never defeat FB. At the end, however, as long as he's happy with it, let him run with it.
Lol. He’s not happy with it. I just argued with him that adapting 12s into the box won’t be any better. When I first agreed to build it, I suggested 2 6.5 inch RDS Audio subs, which the box is perfect for. They would’ve sounded very nice and gotten decently loud. He’s the kind of guy who cuts a hole in a sealed box because it’s “louder”.

Lol. He’s not happy with it. I just argued with him that adapting 12s into the box won’t be any better. When I first agreed to build it, I suggested 2 6.5 inch RDS Audio subs, which the box is perfect for. They would’ve sounded very nice and gotten decently loud. He’s the kind of guy who cuts a hole in a sealed box because it’s “louder”.

Why trust the guy building the enclosure with years of experience???:unsure:

"I do this for a living, and have been doing so for years. However, I have no idea what I'm doing and the F150 is such a rare vehicle that I didn't realize they require the even more rare 6x8 speaker. I knew I should have never dropped out of YouTube University."

Is that pretty much what they think about the knowledge of installers?

Last edited:
Okay... okay... I have a funny installer story that honestly made me speechless and question all my years of knowledge.

While building that black truck, of which I posted pictures of, one of the installers was hooking up the two high power alternators. I believe they were 250 amps each. When hooking them up, he hooked one to control the electronics to run the truck, and the other to power the amps. I asked why he was separating them, and he said it's because the truck's electronics can't handle all that extra amperage. I explained amperage to him and he said "fine, if you want to take the chance of frying all the electronics in his truck, the I should hook them up myself and take ownership of it when the truck burns down."

Now, this guy has been installing for almost 20 years. I could tell you a lot of bumbles this guy did, but.... I'll save them for later.

Okay... okay... I have a funny installer story that honestly made me speechless and question all my years of knowledge.

While building that black truck, of which I posted pictures of, one of the installers was hooking up the two high power alternators. I believe they were 250 amps each. When hooking them up, he hooked one to control the electronics to run the truck, and the other to power the amps. I asked why he was separating them, and he said it's because the truck's electronics can't handle all that extra amperage. I explained amperage to him and he said "fine, if you want to take the chance of frying all the electronics in his truck, the I should hook them up myself and take ownership of it when the truck burns down."

Now, this guy has been installing for almost 20 years. I could tell you a lot of bumbles this guy did, but.... I'll save them for later.
Didn't knows Ohms law???

Didn't knows Ohms law???

Nope.
Same guy hooked up 3000 watts to a 1/0 gauge wire and couldn't figure out why the system kept overheating and shutting down after 30 to 40 minutes of playing. I mentioned the power cable being too small and he told me to mind my own business and work on my own cars. While he was at lunch, I ran a 4awg cable from the battery, strait to the amps. I cranked the volume up and wow... no more shutdowns. I advised him to use another 1/0, which he decided it only needed the just the extra 4awg.

Yup... he was, and still is, the shop manager. I can go on and on. However, when it comes to fabricating, he's an artist.

Holefully he doesn’t hook batteries in series thinking it halves the voltage…..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...