Help Choosing Speakers Please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Magnum099

Hey guys!

I am putting together a sound system for my brother, which will go in a 2000 Nissan Maxima, which has 6.5 inch front speakers and 5.25 inch rear speakers. I will be taking all of the factory Bose stuff out and replacing it. It will be used as a daily driver. I have most of it planned out already, but I can't decide on front speakers.

The amp I have for the front speakers puts out 100 watts rms at 4 ohms, or 150 watts rms at 2 ohms. I will be running the rear speakers off the head unit, and may even add them later, since they aren't important. My focus is on the front speakers right now. Also, I will be sealing and deadening the front doors.

My budget for the front speakers is $160. Because I am a big Alpine fan, I was originally leaning towards the Alpine Type R components, which go for $160 on SonicElectronix. After doing some research on here though, I am not sure they would be a good choice. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience with the Type R Components? What are your thoughts on them?

2) Are there any component speakers in this price range worth getting, or should I just get a nice pair of coaxial speakers?

3) Please recommend any speakers, coaxial or component, that you would recommend at this price point.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate any feedback you guys can provide!

Those both do look really good, and I am definitely considering them. I am also considering the incriminator audio components and the cdt audio classic components:

Incriminator Audio I Series 6.5" Components

WoofersEtc.com - CL-61A-25 PRO - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers

I'm just not sure if I should get one of those, or if a nice set of coaxial speakers would be as good, such as these Image Dynamics ones:

WoofersEtc.com - CTX65 - Image Dynamics 6.75" 2 Way Speakers w/ Silk Tweeters

Decisions, decisions...

Instead of buying an old CDT set that only Woofers can warranty you should consider MX-6CV or MX-261. These are the latest systems by CDT and you can upgrade the warranty to 5 years, or stick with the standard 1 year warranty.

Both the jbls listed above are great speakers. I've owned both.

My experience is the ms62c's have excellent sound quality but seemed to struggle at higher volumes. The p660's are close in sound quality. But you can crank them to ear piercing levels with no breakup or distortion. I was going to get the p660's again. But found a set of unused jbl gti's and bought them.

Update on the speakers: They are great! I appreciate the recommendation and I am extremely pleased with how they sound. The woofers bump nicely, and the tweeters are loud and clear. I did not set them to -6db, but I do not find them to be overbearing or fatiguing to listen to. Best set of car speakers I have ever owned. I am glad I decided to go with components instead of coaxials.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.