HELP Choosing tweeters to Pair with ds18 midrange

IMHO, anything in the 1500 to 3000 watt range is going to get REALLY loud. there are diminishing returns after about 1000 watts, it takes exponential wattage to get there. 500 watts to a sub needs 1000 watts to get 3 db more output, 2000 watts to get another 3 db, 4000 watts to get a perceived 9 db boost or a doubling of the sound pressure level to the ear.

A system with lets say 3000 watts overall is most likely going to benefit from a helper battery in the rear next to the amplifier for sure. I think the alternator in that regal may be fine but benefit from a big three upgrade.

Keeping in mind balance, what is powering the other speakers and what speakers are you using?

IMHO, anything in the 1500 to 3000 watt range is going to get REALLY loud. there are diminishing returns after about 1000 watts, it takes exponential wattage to get there. 500 watts to a sub needs 1000 watts to get 3 db more output, 2000 watts to get another 3 db, 4000 watts to get a perceived 9 db boost or a doubling of the sound pressure level to the ear.

A system with lets say 3000 watts overall is most likely going to benefit from a helper battery in the rear next to the amplifier for sure. I think the alternator in that regal may be fine but benefit from a big three upgrade.

Keeping in mind balance, what is powering the other speakers and what speakers are you using?
Wow you respond quick! I don't actully have speakers in it yet, I was going to do the same speakers I did in the bimmer. 4 5.25in nvx speakers (although Ill try to fit 6.5's) hooked to the same recoil amp (di800.4). I was so satisfied with those speakers that I would use them for this. The sub would probably over power them, but thats what im going for.

What type of second battery would I need, lithium maybe. I also don't understand the concept of having resisters between batteries. Im pretty set on that sundown x12, do you think that taramps smart 3k bass is my best option. I used to have that amp powering duel skar evl 12's, and it was freaking power hungry, though I didn't have the proper electrical at the time.

I'm not running anything between my batteries...just the positive wire between the 2 batteries and the rear battery is grounded to the frame

But I'm also running agm on both...I don't know the mysteries of lithium yet 😂

Last edited:
Wow, 4.5" in the doors and 4x10"s in the rear package tray, 2.34" in the corners of the dash. REALLY old school! 4.5" drivers in the doors. Sounds like it's time to get out the hacksaw, cut new holes. If you can, then go for the 6.5" NVX comps up front and since you'll have bigtime bass in the trunk, maybe some matching 6.5" or 5.25"coax drivers from NVX in a small-sh pod on the rear tray cross tem with the HP to the rear at around 200 hz. You don't want them venting out the back as the subs will destroy them. Closed up, they should do fine from 200 hz up.

Can always build a new tray and use those pods, screw them down, do a little glasswork, could be pretty nice. As for that Taramps 3000, it Is fine. Their smart bass is the go to for sort of budget fullbridge model.

keep in mind that using something like the Si SQL 12" subs will give you the same output at 1000 watts as that sundown will do at 2000 watts. I would consider dual Si SIQ 12s as dual, twice as efficient Si woofers would outperform one of those Sundowns all day long. Adair and brahma also make really good subs too.

3000 watts is not a whole lot for older alternators in some cases (V8's), but it would be good to check into what that puts out. the extra output is more critical for continuous use or use when all the other things are working like the air at night along with lights, etc A helper battery in the rear can help take up the slack for burst and occasional cruising down the road blaring it.

Last edited:
That sundown has almost double the point to point travel over a sql-12...the sundown with move way more air...
That Si is 9 db more efficient, thats double the volume at any given wattage. Unless my math is wonky, 2 of them will outperform that sundown 12 at the same wattage.

That Si is 9 db more efficient, thats double the volume at any given wattage. Unless my math is wonky, 2 of them will outperform that sundown 12 at the same wattage.
That's only part of the equation cone area and movement play into it...I can get louder than sql on 1k with 500w given enough cone

Last edited:
That's only part of the equation cone area and movement play into it...I can get louder than sql on 1k with 500w given enough cone
And two 12s have twice the cone area. at max 1000 watts ea. - versus twice the wattage to push to get there on the single sundown. Take your pick but I'm giving the edge to the dual Si setup.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...