Image dynamics ctx 65cs vs Alpine type r comp's (spr 50c, 60c)

Participant count
  • Participant list

rovertnamrod
10+ year member

florida
i'm looking for some good sounding speakers for the front doors of my 01 civic coupe dx. these speakers are roughly the same price- $159 for the ID's and $150 for the Alpine components. the alpine type r component speakers are Alpine's high end comps, while the ctx 65cs is not Image Dynamics high end comp's.

which sound better and why?

Harsh tweeters? They both have silk domes though.
Tweeter harshness doesn't need to do anything with the materials. Frequently, a tweeter can sound harsh at higher volume level if it is allowed to play too low. So, it can easily be a crossover problem. One rule of thumb I heard is that tweeter's output should be completely in-audible at its resonance frequency. I heard it has been said that few small format tweeters do not distort playing audibly at frequencies below 4KHz, but in car audio there are a lot of speakers crossing tweeters as low as 2KHz or using 1st order high pass which still let the tweeter play a lot of lower frequencies.

ok, i understand the JBL's sound better than the alpines and the id's, but which out of the 2 I originally asked about would sound better? Alpine type r components (spr 50c, spr 60) or Image Dynamics ctx65cs components?

ok, i understand the JBL's sound better than the alpines and the id's, but which out of the 2 I originally asked about would sound better? Alpine type r components (spr 50c, spr 60) or Image Dynamics ctx65cs components?
I vote ID. I dont like R comps. Highs too emphasized even for me.

ok i'm going with the JBL ms-52c and not the ms-62c because of fitment issues with my car (2001 honda civic dx coupe). The ms-52c's are just as good as the ms-62c's right? and the only difference being they don't go quite as low on the frequency range?

The MS52s will be fine. I have MS62s and they're solid performers. I'm going to be installing them in my Passat tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeled on a build log soon. Between your two original choices, definitely the IDs...they're also nowhere near as power hungry.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.