Inconsistent Bass Levels through Hi-Low converter and EQ

Participant count
  • Participant list

Grunkille

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone

I have been having consistent issues with my car audio, and hope someone can help with resolving my issues.

I have a 2018 Kia Picanto with stock radio with a PAC Locpro Hi-Low converter. Infinity Kappas in the front and JBL GTO's in the back running off of a Rockford Fosgate P4004 amp. I also have a secondary 130AH AGM battery installed in the boot.
Problem 1:

I had a new DD712 sub with 3000w RMS @ 1ohm amplifier installed. At the installation shop I was advised that my Stock radio is not providing enough power, as they turn the amp almost full without the sub performing optimally(the midbass is also lacking). I was then advised to install either a crossover in the back, or an EQ.

I then got an EQ from a friend which I wired up, and initially sounded great(could push more bass and adjust the midbass). However, the bass is completely inconsistent, but always at the same place in a track. It would be mild at one point and then sub blowing loud the next, but always at the same part of the track. I then went and purchased a new different brand EQ thinking the one from my friend might be faulty, but I am still experiencing the exact same inconsistent bass in tracks. Without the EQ I did not have this problem, everything was just at a much lower level.

Could it be that the Hi-Low converter and EQ are causing issues with eachother? What are my options if this is the case? Replacing the stock headunit might be difficult due to costs in my country and the weird protruding look of the stock radio.

Problem 2:
I am experiencing constant engine whine on my speakers, which I cannot get rid of. Ive changed RCA cables, moved power cables around, the PAC converter has a ground loop isolator also built in that does not make a difference if the wire is connected or not. I have heard that connecting 2 Hi-Low converters at the same time can resolve the problem, but I have no idea to do that.

Any concrete answers that can point me in the direction of experiencing my car audio to the fullest would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Some manufactures actually cut out some of the low end to prevent speaker damage to the factory speakers. I would consider trying one of these for two reasons. It has high output; it’s essentially distortion free (at any levels you are going to use it for), and it has a built in bass restoration circuit (not to be confused with an EQ). If the information is not there because the MFR filters it, this unit will put it back.

https://nvx.com/collections/eqs-and...th-xboost-technology-and-remote-level-control

Pretty reliable, positive reviews on YT.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...