Low speaker output with Kicker amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list

jedidiah1225

Hey guys,

I joined this forum to ask about this, since I couldn't find the answer through random Internet searches. I installed a used Kicker KX600.4 (75w x 4) in my truck and just wired two 5.25" JBLs to the amp (I haven't gotten to the rear speakers yet). The amp powers on with the HU, and produces sound from the speakers, but the sound is very quiet and distorted (the speakers sounded better--clearer and louder--from the HU's internal amp, although the speakers now produce more bass, it's not the right kind of bass. Switching the connections (speaker wire, RCAs) availed nothing.

Turning up the HU volume and adjusting the amp settings (crossover, gain, bass boost), although making a noticeable difference, didn't "fix" the problem.

I used a new Kicker install kit (wires and RCAs), so I don't think that's the problem. I ran a 4 awg to a distribution block, and then an 8 awg to the amp, with an 8 awg ground. My HU has 3 2.5v outputs, and I even chose the option to turn off the HU's internal amp.

Any ideas on the culprit of the low speaker volume/clarity? Or a link to a site that deals with this sort of problem? Thanks for any help you can offer.

I tried some more fidgeting: double checked the RCAs connection to the HU, filed and readjusted the ground wire, and again adjusted the amp settings. It now sounds a little better, but still wrong. With the gain and crossover setting nearly at max, the bass shakes the doors a little. But the lyrics and guitars sound distant--both the exact opposite characteristics I want from my front 5.25 speakers. It almost seems as if the JBL speaker crossovers stopped sending a signal to the built-in tweeters. Additionally, increasing the treble at the HU didn't change the sound at all. Even if the crossover is the problem (it worked just yesterday), I still expected more from 75 watts.

I packed up shop for the day, but still hope someone can help an inexperienced installer. Thanks for reading.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to Chrispy--my hero!

I never knew my amp had a switch for high or low pass, so I just assumed it was only low. One flick of the switch, and problem fixed. Chrispy, thank you so much--way to hit the problem on the head.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to Chrispy--my hero!
I never knew my amp had a switch for high or low pass, so I just assumed it was only low. One flick of the switch, and problem fixed. Chrispy, thank you so much--way to hit the problem on the head.
Well hell yeah, No problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.