Mounting screws touching rubber surround? Okay, or totally bad?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fsco

So I have just popped in 4 Polk db651s speakers in all the stock mounting positions in my 00 Jeep XJ (Cherokee for non Jeep ppl). The back was plug and play with the mounting. The front I had to drill a new hole, but they're in the same spot.

My question is this: In the front, the (reused stock) mounting screws press slightly into the rubber surround. I ground the screw flanges down so that they are smaller, but they still touch that rubber surround a bit.

Do I need to grind them even narrower so that they don't touch at all? Or as long as there aren't sharp edges touching will it be okay?

VERY newbie question, I know. I'm just trying to cut right to the chase. They're being driven right off a Kenwood eXcelon 598 head unit with stock wiring.

Thanks, I really don't want to ruin my brand new speakers (that sound amazing to these ears used to listening to 14 year old stockers).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.