Need advice. Will I notice an increase of 100w?

Grinchvr6

OKC
I have been out of the car audio game for quite a few years now. I am slowly getting back in, and have added a sub and amp to my factory VW radio.

I got a great deal on a Boston G310-4 sub (375w rms) and have it connected to a Blaupunkt THA1250 mono sub amp putting out 250w at 4ohms. It is in a sealed box around .68.

The sub sounds good, but on some songs it just doesnt put out the bass like I think it should. I dont know if this is because I am underpowering it, or because the factory stereo rolls off the bass at higher volumes.

I figure I have 2 options. I can add an Audio Control LC2i to add the bass back in, or get a new amp.

I have been looking at this amp: The JBL GTO-501EZ. Mono sub amp puts out 350w at 4 ohms.

I only have about $150 left in my budget. I dont want to "cheap" out, but money is an issue as I have a baby coming soon.

I appreciate any feedback!!

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
two things are why your lacking one is the small sealed box go for the smallest ported recommended, and as for the amp look around your local pawnshops and haggle some get an amp slightly larger then needed it will leave headroom for musical peaks.

Don't be afraid to up the power, these subs are under rated and can easily handle 500 watts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif These are great sounding subs and don't get the credit they deserve imo! I had mine in a sealed box at .7 or .75 (can't remember exactly) and it was loud enough for me. I wanted to get a ported box built for it since it uses such a small air space, but never got around to it. I would definitely look into the 450-500 watt range if you can afford it, you will be happy that you did. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Simply applying another 100w above what you have will result in inaudible gains...basically just a waste of money for an amp with virtually no options for additional power output if later upgrade options permit.

Here is my advice:

#1- Purchase a very flexible amp that can produce a clean 500w at 4ohms like this one:

MB Quart ONX1.1500D - ONYX Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp - It is flexible enough that if you chose to purchase another matching sub, or one with higher power handling later, you have the amplification to provide up to 1500w if desired with other subs.

#2- If you keep the same sub, explore ported box options for further system output gains once you have re-couped from the amp purchase.

Another hundred watts probably wouldn't make a difference really. what WOULD make a difference is getting an amp that isn't flea-market... like that JBL or the Boston one brought up.

Also, getting a properly designed ported box would probably double your output.

Thanks for all the replies! So since no one said anything about the Audio Control LC2i, does that mean they arent worth it or wont help my problem?

Can anyone comment on this amp? Sound Ordnance M-2250. •500 watts RMS x 1 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable bridged). Crutchfield has it for $119.99 and it seems to have alot of good reviews for the price. I have a $25 gift card to crutchfield so I would like to find something there...

Another hundred watts probably wouldn't make a difference really. what WOULD make a difference is getting an amp that isn't flea-market... like that JBL or the Boston one brought up.Also, getting a properly designed ported box would probably double your output.
blaupunkt is far from flra market bro

Thanks for all the replies! So since no one said anything about the Audio Control LC2i, does that mean they arent worth it or wont help my problem?
Can anyone comment on this amp? Sound Ordnance M-2250. •500 watts RMS x 1 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable bridged). Crutchfield has it for $119.99 and it seems to have alot of good reviews for the price. I have a $25 gift card to crutchfield so I would like to find something there...
If it's affordable and on Crutchfield, it's crap

Never had any experience with those amps. It seems that the Sound Ordnance amps have decent reviews and they do come with a 3 year warranty. Also with Crutchfield they have a 60 day return so you could always try it out, worst you would be is out of the return shipping charge which is usually $7-$10.

Just a thought.....the sub is dvc and can be wired to 2 ohms. Then you would get more from your amp....maybe 300 watts (rated at 2 ohms). I am not sure if it will do what manufacturer rates it at or not.

I have a babied Alpine MRP-M500 that will give you just more than 500wrms at 2 ohms......$100 shipped.

seriously gets old how every thread on here is someone trying to insert their stuff for sale. apparently u need to re read original post where it states a single 4 ohm driver

I used to run these kenwood on 1 rockford T1 and rocked it pretty good at 4ohms, these kenwood gives very clean power

Kenwood KAC-7205/RB 2 Channel Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com
wayy overrated junk

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

Just a thought.....the sub is dvc and can be wired to 2 ohms. Then you would get more from your amp....maybe 300 watts (rated at 2 ohms). I am not sure if it will do what manufacturer rates it at or not.
I have a babied Alpine MRP-M500 that will give you just more than 500wrms at 2 ohms......$100 shipped.
you seriously need to re-read this thread

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.