No Rear Speakers, just Front and Sub

tracyrick
10+ year member

Limited035
I asked this in another thread but only got one response.

Has anyone here completely disabled rear speakers and just used high quality front components and a sub - both amped? How does it sound?

I'm thinking about this for an '06 Impreza STI. Cheaper, easier, but too weak?

I asked this in another thread but only got one response.
Has anyone here completely disabled rear speakers and just used high quality front components and a sub - both amped? How does it sound?

I'm thinking about this for an '06 Impreza STI. Cheaper, easier, but too weak?
Yep. That's how I had my last system and it sounded awesome!

That's what I have, but I still have stock front speakers. IMO, it sounds good, I like it better like this than with rears in.

Most but not all of us do. It enhances the sound stage. When you go to a concert the music isnt coming from behind you. Some people enjoy rear stage though too. Its prefrence. And no definatly not too weak if you buy decent equipment.

yep the majority of the people who are considered hobbiest (sp?) of car audio do not run rear speakers. it's a matter of personal preference though. the reason why many of us do not have rear speakers is because we would like to re-create the soundstage and the easy way to do that is to only run the front speakers to make it seem the music is all in front of you.

Think of it like this.

As one said when you are at a concert the music isn't coming from behind you but infront of you and to the sides in a way depending on how close you are to the actual soundstage.

So we want rear-fill so we like the sounds coming from a 360 degree P.O.V. and if we want frot-satge you do it right it's like it's coming from 180 degrees like a big curve instead of a circle.

Bass should come from the back...hihgh highs should come from the tweets in the front and the highs/mids should come from a pair to a few pairs in door pods and kick pods with correct imaging.

Read up on soundstage imaging.

bass should blend in with the front stage. It should not sound like its coming from the back.

i only run fronts right now, but with time alignment i think you can still have rear fill sound good.

^ ****it I should learn to re phrase things better...srry,I'm medicated right now.

I didn't mean the bass should sound like it is coming from the back,simply that if done right sub(s) in the back High/Mids up front wil sound just as good if not better.

Think about it...are you building your cars stereo system/is it being geared towards your listening want/needs or to the other people in the car with you?

If you're going to have people in the backseat and you want them to hear sub/highs/mids the rearfill would be a good choice but if you don't care about the people other then you in your car then I'd go ahead and just do a killer frontstage which is what I'l be doing in my next vehicle.

i myself, dont' have a rear-fill, and i like it this way. I also don't care for those who sit in the back, as to what they hear. anyways, im sure they can hear the front stage. They just have second-hand seats to this front stage concert.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Great feedback, thanks. Yeah, Faulk, I have an Alpine HU that allows me to do time correction and it can put the driver right in "center stage." You just have to measure the distance from the driver to each speaker and delay the closest speakers.

But if I can skip rear speakers - cool!

I would just try front speakers only to see how I like it. But it's not that easy. If I just buy front speakers, I would only need to buy a 2 channel amp vs. 4 channel if I buy front and back speakers. So it's something I have to figure out before buying my equipment.

For the sub I've heard that if it's set really low, the bass will sound all around you (good) vs. if you set it to handle higher than 80hz, you can tell where the sub is coming from (not good).

if you concentrate on doing a good install on your front stage, u will never look back(literally). a good component set in the front totally destroys a typical coaxial system(fronts and rears).

i myself, dont' have a rear-fill, and i like it this way. I also don't care for those who sit in the back, as to what they hear. anyways, im sure they can hear the front stage. They just have second-hand seats to this front stage concert.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
Bingo!

Bullseye!

err.. something like that.

If the audio system is setup correctly, the rear passengers should expeience a similar audio orgasm as the front passengers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.