Picking new speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

SmTeras

CarAudio.com Newbie
Estonia
Hi!
I need some help, I want to upgrade speakers in my car, but I`m in between different options and I don`t know what to choose.
First of all, my car is Mercedes-Benz w211 2007 E-class (Avantgarde if that makes any difference, not sure). I have already installed dedicated subwoofer (Gladen SQX 12) and I have also done some sound treatment to the doors and trunk of the car. So far i have installed MDF speaker mounts and also replaced front speakers to Rockford Fosgate P165-SI, but i don`t like them that much, they sound decent for the money but can`t really handle any power (even if if amp RMS is way lower than rated RMS for the speakers).
I mainly listen to D&B, some Hip-Hop but also rock and punk type of music.

So my budget for new speakers are around 300€, and i can be a bit flexible with that if needed (for a set that is then, planning to upgrade rear speakers later on).
I`m between few options and I don`t know what to pick ( Sadly i don`t have an option to listen to any of those speakers)
My options so far are:
*Gladen RS RS-165 G2
*DLS MC6.2
*Audison Voce AV K6
*Hertz mille pro mpk 165.3
*Hertz Mille Pro MPK 1650.3
*Phoenix Gold ZX65CS
*DD Audio CC6.5a
( I also have some sort of budget 4 channel amplifier installed which I`m planning on replacing after I find myself some nice speakers)
Only speakers i have experience with are DLS ones, since they were in my old car and i really liked them, but like 4 sets failed in my hand, so I`m also considering another options and I kind of limited myself with what I can get locally here.
Does anyone have any experience with those speakers? And if so can anyone recommend some over the other? I`m also open to any suggestions on other brands, models ect.

any kind of help would be appreciated.

Not familiar with some of the drivers selected as they are not used a lot or at all in the US.

THese are a great speaker that i have used, Morel makes a great line, my lionks are all UK area, closest to you that I could find.

The Gladen RS RS-165 G2 you show look to be decent too. They are also 3 ohm drivers so make sure the 4 channel amp you have or get is 2 ohm stable like one of these:

At 3 ohms, I would venture to say it will output around 125 watts x 4.

This is a really nice used FOCAL unit if you can make it fit, these are selling in the states, new for around $749

Another nice option European brand:

I had Morel Tempo Ultra lineup installed in my old car before DLS. They were pretty decent speakers but for the price they sell those here, I wasn`t really impressed, I preferred 2x cheaper DLS sound over tempo ultra Morels.
Also I have really bad experience with Pioneer stuff. Most of the audio stuff I have seen fail are pioneer so far, and idk why. Few weeks back pioneer amp I installed in a different car literally caught fire (and it wasn`t wiring problem, other amp was just fine).

Hmmm, not sure why either. I've done 6 installs with that or the GM-d8604, not an issue with a one. That Focal 4 channel I listed earlier is a superb amp. those DSL speakers looked very nice. Morel really starts to shine in the mid to upper end, the Accuflex coated tweeters make all the difference.

This AudioControl is a very underrated high performer, running one of these currently along with my Focal FDP 4.600:

Helix are nice too:

Audison:

The Kenwood Excelons are great too:

Last edited:
As of now i have some sort of budget Vibe amplifier that is stable at 2 ohm load. First of all i would like to change out the speakers and then more premium amplifier.

Out of all those
Gladen RS RS-165 G2

The settings on the Gladen RS crossover are a sure fire winner
They also have other Gladen options here aswell, but i don`t know if SQX 165 Slim are any better than RS-165 G2, and Zero line is starting to get a little pricy. Also considered RS-X 165 from Gladen, but RS-165 G2 seemed a bit nicer to me.

Slims are almost always a tradeoff, unless they can do the same for less money, no reason to get them as they tend to be more costly option. Fills a very niche market, people who have to use them as opposed to the vast majority that don't have to.

Slims are almost always a tradeoff, unless they can do the same for less money, no reason to get them as they tend to be more costly option. Fills a very niche market, people who have to use them as opposed to the vast majority that don't have to.
yeah i know, that`s why i didn`t consider them, just mentioned cuz they are available in the store :D

Have you considered a 3 way front stage at all?? You might take a look and see what Ground Zero has to offer? Even a set of Coax. or 2way components they may have for rear speakers if youd like those as well? I think you may be able to get those where you are located? Id also recommend looking at the Sound Digital Evo Series amplifiers that may suite the need as well as being a compact amplifier to deliver and serve for the need? I think you may be able to get one within your reach as well? I would opt. out for the 800.4 or 1200.4 for the supply needs myself. Worth taking a look at
https://toledodealerservices.com/pr...ap6-3B-HzhSu59sV900bMMcIBbCMtLkBoCAN0QAvD_BwE

Have you considered a 3 way front stage at all?? You might take a look and see what Ground Zero has to offer? Even a set of Coax. or 2way components they may have for rear speakers if youd like those as well? I think you may be able to get those where you are located? Id also recommend looking at the Sound Digital Evo Series amplifiers that may suite the need as well as being a compact amplifier to deliver and serve for the need? I think you may be able to get one within your reach as well? I would opt. out for the 800.4 or 1200.4 for the supply needs myself. Worth taking a look at
https://toledodealerservices.com/pr...ap6-3B-HzhSu59sV900bMMcIBbCMtLkBoCAN0QAvD_BwE

I have considered 3 way speakers, but I dont know if I'm willing to modify a 3th speaker in a door (since these doors don't have that much depth in them execpt for oem speaker mount). I have looked at ground zero speakers also, but I have only seen them mainly in SPL type of builds and I haven't met anybody who drives them as daily speakers 😃. And yes I have had look at Sound Digital amplifiers, they've been a little sketchy to me, since they seem to be pretty cheap and promise do deliver a lot of power, but I've seen amps that can't do anything near the rated power that they describe in the spec sheet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...