Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

just started deadening my doors today. question for people in the know. im a plumber and we've got plumbers putty that we use to seal up sink drains, shower drains, and basically anything we want to prevent from leaking - ive swiped a few containers from my van to use on the mdf rings.
the container says "keep away from strong oxidizers"

--problem= im not a scientist.

can i use this putty instead of clay?
Does it harden? Because you would want to use something non-hardening.

no it doesnt harden or retain moisture. as for heat resistance i havent been able to find an exact number regarding whether or not itll stand up to a ny summer.

im just not sure if using it against the back of the speaker is a good idea in case it oxidizes??

Heres some stuff I did today. Did about 2/2.5 layers. Still have plenty more eDv1. I'm applying it with a blowdryer and really sticking the edges on so hopefully I won't have to deal with it coming off.

dsc00352bh9.jpg

dsc00353dr3.jpg

dsc00354yp9.jpg

dsc00356xd8.jpg

****Also has anyone ever tried using Great Stuf foam in the doors? I used some in my left door... I'm thinking of being real careful and filling up the very innermost part closest to the engine that I can't really reach with deadener. Have to watch out for the window track and also not to block the drains for water. Anyone think it's a good/bad idea? Should I not bother?

I'm using the stuff for windows that WILL NOT expand to the point of bending the door frame.

What type of non-hardening modeling clay are you guys using? Went to the crafts store today and they had Roma Plastina, but only #1 and #2...are these okay to use?

What type of non-hardening modeling clay are you guys using? Went to the crafts store today and they had Roma Plastina, but only #1 and #2...are these okay to use?
Yes.

The non-hardening clay I buy is just regular clay with wax added to it so that it doesn't harden over time.

This may have been asked in the previous 21 pages, but is there anything that you can do to the egg carton foam to make it water resistant. cover it with a plastic bag and melt it on (with a lighter) might be an idea? What do yall think?

Would extra pads of ensolite behind the speaker be comparable to the egg carton foam for breaking up the waves?
What do you mean "extra"?

Ensolite is a brand of closed cell foam which is often used for its waterproof qualities (sports equipment, industrial apps where there is water, etc). There are many types of Ensolite and many more types of CC foam.

Typically egg carton foam is open cell, but you have to check and see for sure which one you have. Technically, it should be more absorptive of sound because of its material properties. The draw back is that it can also absorb water, too.

If you want to defract or "break up" sound waves you need a blocker or a barrier. This is where products like Deflex pads come in handy. They are resonably good (depends on frequency band) at "scattering" sound waves, but not so good at absorbing them. They are almost always made out of low durometer rubber or silicone and have a convoluted surface to "soften" the blow of a rear wave from a close distance.

Does this happend to work for just basic installs or is this for speakers that will be used for midbass... etc.. etc...

I would look to install bunch of infinity 6012i to replace the stockys nothing big... but by doing thsi will this improve anything?

well i look to change the speakers anyways i guess ill throw the remaning i have left around the speaker and work outwards... by dynamating the door (i have that elemental design one forget the name) but yea will it also help keep some of the road noise out aswell??

well i look to change the speakers anyways i guess ill throw the remaning i have left around the speaker and work outwards... by dynamating the door (i have that elemental design one forget the name) but yea will it also help keep some of the road noise out aswell??
yes it will keep road noise out... edead is what you are using i believe, and i assume you read this thread, the instructions i mean... if you don't do the whole door properly, i wouldn't expect a major improvement...

i got the .75mm thick one its a pretty thick pieice and i ahve enough for maybe about 65% of the entire door n alot of it i mite not need because of the holes in the door what wil i fill thoes with not messing with the window from going up and down?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.