Question about engine whine

dragnix
5,000+ posts

LXIX
Ok, I just put my system together and now i'm getting engine whine. My question is that I did not get this when I was just bumping stock speakers. So does this seem like the RCA grounds are not good? I might do my headunit ground later also, but I need to get rid of the engine whine first, so i would like to focus on what's necessary first. My headunit is a Pioneer btw //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

And one more thing, my pioneer uses an adapter that plugs into the back of the headunit for the RCA preouts. So if I ground my RCAs, should I still wrap it around the RCAs or around the adapter?

Thanks for any help you can give me guys.

Howdy there neighbor. Is the adaptor that you are referring to a "line out converter?" A veteran like yourself with 7000+ posts should already know that grounding is crucial to the operation of your audio eqipment. I am wondering exactly what you changed in your setup so that I can have a better idea on where to start with troubleshooting.

If grounding is questionable, then by all means, check all connections.

I have the same problem with mine. I know more than likely the problem is I need to ground the chasis. Thing is I had this installed and didn't get any engine whine, but I do have a ground loop Iso that cut it out before. Well after I got down sound deadening my car and hooked everything back up, now I have it and it is pretty bad. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif If anyone knows why it would happen now and not before, please let me know as well. I don't know if an RCA could have just went bad or there is a loose connection some where, even though I rechecked them all.

Thanks for any help as well and sorry to thread jack your thread Dragon. Maybe we both could get answers, lol!

I searched too, but didn't see anything about someone taking out their system and reinstalling it to get new engine noise. Is usually about installing it the first time.

Howdy there neighbor. Is the adaptor that you are referring to a "line out converter?" A veteran like yourself with 7000+ posts should already know that grounding is crucial to the operation of your audio eqipment. I am wondering exactly what you changed in your setup so that I can have a better idea on where to start with troubleshooting.
If grounding is questionable, then by all means, check all connections.
no, it's not a LOC, because i'm running an aftermarket HU, no need for a LOC. And yes i know grounding is crucial, but I need to know if it's really the ground or the RCA so I can focus on one first. I will run the ground to the battery soon though.

I have the same problem with mine. I know more than likely the problem is I need to ground the chasis. Thing is I had this installed and didn't get any engine whine, but I do have a ground loop Iso that cut it out before. Well after I got down sound deadening my car and hooked everything back up, now I have it and it is pretty bad. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif If anyone knows why it would happen now and not before, please let me know as well. I don't know if an RCA could have just went bad or there is a loose connection some where, even though I rechecked them all.
Thanks for any help as well and sorry to thread jack your thread Dragon. Maybe we both could get answers, lol!

I searched too, but didn't see anything about someone taking out their system and reinstalling it to get new engine noise. Is usually about installing it the first time.
Yea, mine's the first time too. I've heard Pioneer HU gives you that whine though, so you have to ground the RCAs. Iono, maybe it's because grounding may have gotten loose after you put your new system in? Just ground it to the chassis and i think we both might see better results lol.

Grounding the chassis of the HU would also ground the RCA's. The circuitry inside the HU shares the ground. I'm thinking that a quick test could be done by simply taking a piece of wire and touching it to the chassis of the HU and to a good ground. (Outer sleeve of cig. lighter because it is always nearby.)

Just turn off your engine going downhill so you can enjoy your music part of the time and listen to whine while uphill and flat.

Think of it this way....you'll enjoy your music 10X more going downhill with no whine than flat and uphill.

Grounding the chassis of the HU would also ground the RCA's. The circuitry inside the HU shares the ground. I'm thinking that a quick test could be done by simply taking a piece of wire and touching it to the chassis of the HU and to a good ground. (Outer sleeve of cig. lighter because it is always nearby.)
Read up on the pioneer RCA issue, because you're wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Dragnix -- The only thing you've changed out is the stock speakers? First thing to do is disconnect your RCA's from the amps and turn on the system (Be sure the RCA's aren't touching anything) If the noise goes away, then your HU is the issue.

Another test is to take an external source, aka iPod, and plug it in via a 1/8" mini jack to RCA adapter and turn on your system.

Read up on the pioneer RCA issue, because you're wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Dragnix -- The only thing you've changed out is the stock speakers? First thing to do is disconnect your RCA's from the amps and turn on the system (Be sure the RCA's aren't touching anything) If the noise goes away, then your HU is the issue.

Another test is to take an external source, aka iPod, and plug it in via a 1/8" mini jack to RCA adapter and turn on your system.
good idea, I may do that. Btw, my RCA are ran in a way that they do touch the power wire, but they are shielded so I don't think it should matter.

And about the bold part, if the noise goes away when my RCAs are disconnected and the noise goes away, doesn't that mean it's the RCA?

Btw, I grounded the headunit and the RCA to the battery and i'm still getting whine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

good idea, I may do that. Btw, my RCA are ran in a way that they do touch the power wire, but they are shielded so I don't think it should matter.And about the bold part, if the noise goes away when my RCAs are disconnected and the noise goes away, doesn't that mean it's the RCA?

Btw, I grounded the headunit and the RCA to the battery and i'm still getting whine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
ive always ran power and rcas on the opposite side of the car to keep them from touching. i was told that this is a better way and helps eliminate engine whine, ive never heard it in any of my systems i dont know if thats why but just a thought.

good idea, I may do that. Btw, my RCA are ran in a way that they do touch the power wire, but they are shielded so I don't think it should matter.And about the bold part, if the noise goes away when my RCAs are disconnected and the noise goes away, doesn't that mean it's the RCA?

If disconnected, and the noise goes away, then it means there is a problem from the RCA's back, aka RCA's, headunit, headunit wiring, battery. Most likely its the headunit; IIRC DC current cannot induce noise into an AC circuit, it has to be AC to AC.

I've run my speaker wires touching my 1/0 power wire... Not an issue. Not sure about the RCA's because since its pre-amp and low voltage, its more susceptible to noise induction.

i had the same problem wit my pioneer, mines was very bad. Sounded like i had a 1khz test tone on repeat, but i ground my rcas like the pic in this thread---http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198477-- and it got rid of all of mine.
Yup, that's my HU... Been running like that for 2 years now and couldn't be happier.

the thing is, my RCA uses a harness to plug into the back of the headunit. So do I ground the RCAs, or the harness? Btw, in my last setup with my alpine headunit I ran the RCAs and it touched the power wire so I'm pretty sure it's not the RCA. Seems like it's the headunit.

And i got rid of some whine by grounding to the battery, but it's still there, pretty apparent too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.