Replace aftermarket radio with oem radio

TXC340

CarAudio.com Newbie
Bought a 2007 Chev Trailblazer with a Pioneer FH-X830BHS radio. It is a non user friendly complicated mess and is the only thing that is wrong with this suv. Since this is a double DIN unit, does this mean the original wiring has been bastardized to install it? The plan is to replace it with an oem radio. If the original radio connector is gone is there any place other than a junk yard to get one? Thanks to all in advance for help with this.

Last edited:
If the original radio connector is gone is there any place other than a junk yard to get one?
Screenshot_20231228-114940.png

It says Silverado but works on many GM vehicles.

Last edited:
Bought a 2007 Chev Trailblazer with a Pioneer FH-X830BHS radio. It is a non user friendly complicated mess and is the only thing that is wrong with this suv. Since this is a double DIN unit, does this mean the original wiring has been bastardized to install it? The plan is to replace it with an oem radio. If the original radio connector is gone is there any place other than a junk yard to get one? Thanks to all in advance for help with this.
Just to offer help that you're not asking for:
What's wrong with the Pioneer?

That isn't exactly a great head unit. It's low wattage, low preout voltage, and my guess is someone just wanted to add spotify, pandora or bluetooth. Really don't see a benefit other than that.

I would bet on ebay, these aren't going to be worth it, and for the cost it's probably about as much as an aftermarket head unit. If that was me, I'm pulling one at PickNpull, and you can grab the harness while you are there. Should be about $20.

To finally answer your question, you have a vehicle harness with a plug/connector that your factory head unit would have plugged into. It's possible they screwed it up, but not likely. They SHOULD have just unplugged it, and used an aftermarket harness to plug between the vehicle harness and the new head unit. (That picture above has the bare wire ends connected to the bare ends of the harness that came with the head unit).

I would pull the stereo out and take a look. Stereo adapter harnesses are common and cheap when installing a aftermarket stereo. It may just be a matter of unplugging the adapter and plugging the factory stereo back in.

No way to tell if the wiring is bastardized without looking for yourself. Wiring adapters are cheap enough at installer.com.

That said there is no reason to believe the OEM HU will be better than the Pioneer. Are the speakers also aftermarket?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...