Sound cuts out/not playing

Participant count
  • Participant list

RokintypeRs
10+ year member

Missouri
So I just had my car taken into the body shop to get some minor body work done, and I get it back from the shop two weeks ago and I turn on my stereo and nothing plays. I did have my car washed and waxed and detailed while it was at the body shop. I looked at all my connections and they're fine. I have not checked my connections on the head unit though. Although, I turned my source adjuster on my head unit from +2 to -1 and it seemed to play for a little bit, but as soon as I turned off my car and turned it back on it would play but it cut in and out every second. It would play for about a half a second then shut off for 2 seconds, play for half a second, then shut off for 2 seconds. It does that now but only at high enough volumes. I have an amp on my speakers, an amp on my subwoofers, a line driver (audiocontrol overdrive plus), and a kinetik hc600 with a 200 amp isolator. I looked at all my fuses too and none of them are blown. I'm thinking its my head unit what do you all think? I should mention that I just had the head unit installed about 3 weeks before it headed into the body shop and before I took it into the shop, the subs sometimes wouldnt turn on when I turned the head unit on and I would have to turn it off then back on to have the subs kick on. Basically it was giving me trouble even before all this happened after the shop.

well..... the problem I see here is you cant take it back to either place and ask them to fix it. I would make a call to each and ask if anything was adjusted or changed with the stereo whilst they had your car.

other than that, I would start at the headunit and work my way through-out the whole system checking every connection and all wiring... also check and adjust deck settings correctly.

also check for loose ground on speakers amp & could be the rca's are loose behind the headunit

well..... the problem I see here is you cant take it back to either place and ask them to fix it. I would make a call to each and ask if anything was adjusted or changed with the stereo whilst they had your car.
other than that, I would start at the headunit and work my way through-out the whole system checking every connection and all wiring... also check and adjust deck settings correctly.

also check for loose ground on speakers amp & could be the rca's are loose behind the headunit
I see your point there. Any suggestions as to what it might be though? Its cutting in and out all over the place!

could be rca's loose behind the headunit, or grounds have come loose, speaker wires could be spliced or earthing out between door ect ect ect. tis kinda hard when all you are telling me is that the sound is all over the place.

could be rca's loose behind the headunit, or grounds have come loose, speaker wires could be spliced or earthing out between door ect ect ect. tis kinda hard when all you are telling me is that the sound is all over the place.
I gotchya. It was mostly a joke when I said the sound is all over the place. I'm thinking its the speaker connections on the head unit along with the subs. The amps all turn on and even the cooling fans kick on. Yet, there is patchy sound coming from the speakers. It cuts in and out and the subwoofers don't even play.

are you using rca's from your headunit? or speaker output from headunit into amps?
RCA's from head unit. It does not have speaker level outputs.

Where was the damage to the car?
The damage was to the passenger side skirt and the passenger side mirror. The mirror had to be replaced along with the side skirt and some of the door metal as that too was damaged. (Long story short, I slid on some ice and slammed into a lamp post... The thing didn't break... Wish it did... Little ******). Anyway, the battery wire is wired through the driver's side, and the RCA's, and remote wire are run through the passenger side. Maybe the wire got pulled? Honestly, the system was giving me trouble before I took it into the shop. It only happened sporadically, but when I turned the head unit on when I started the car, sometimes the subs would not kick on, but the speakers would. I would have all mids and highs, but no bass. I would have to turn it off and on again to get them to turn on, or sometimes switch the song by clicking next and then the amp for the subs would kick on and it would produce bass.

At first blush it sounds like a speaker wire in the door was damaged. But then, that wouldn't likely cause a problem with the subwoofer amp. I'd check the wiring that's closest to the right door. There's a lot better chance that the remote wire was damaged while the work was being done than there is that the head unit wiring went bad coincidentally.

Just found the issue. The Isolator to the battery was seized up from it being -2+ degree weather here. I rewired the isolator relay to start from the front car battery so now it works. It took me about 4 hours to figure out without a multimeter… lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.