the smell of burnt voice coils

So I'm guessing this is bad from the smell alone. I have two sa 12s and they are in a base Works box right now and I have a Phoenix Gold sx1200.1 running them. My buddy thought it would be a good idea to just hook one up and cuz I can't wire them down to one on because they are two ohm subs. So I just unhooked one sub and left it in the Box and hook the other sub up to 1 ohm. When I turn it up both subs are hitting like they're both hooked up but only one is hooked up the polarity is totally off of course I know just the air from one is making the other move I know that. But after playing for about 1 minute all ice melt is burnt voice coil so I figured something's not right. Is this going to hurt my Subs or my sub I should say if I continue to play it like this. I think the answer is obvious. I'm just wondering why it smelling like that is it burning the other voice coil or is it burning the voice coil on the only sub that's hooked up I have it ran from the amp negative to negative to negative from positive to positive to positive. I would just put them in a single box but I don't have a single box all I have is is dual box so should I just hook the other one back up and continue to run them at 2 ohms? And what would be a better amp to run these with the Phoenix Gold SX 1200.1 or a Kenwood kac-9106d?

#1 turn gain down.. what u have it at? they like 600rms subs u running twice that and probably have gain past 50%, set gain at 25% turn off all bass boost and eq's... neither of those amps are bad, i'd say pg but never had either.. depends on the box u have u may actually be better off with just 1 sub in it prefabs are always to small and tuned to high, that box maybe perfect for 1 sub idk, put up a pic or link to tht box..

I've had some subs being overpowered and started to smell a bit. Just backed down the volume and let them cool down //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Clipping. 1200 clean wont burn up SA's..

But you may very well reach mechanical failure overpowering a sub in a box intended for 2 subs

#1 turn gain down.. what u have it at? they like 600rms subs u running twice that and probably have gain past 50%, set gain at 25% turn off all bass boost and eq's... neither of those amps are bad, i'd say pg but never had either.. depends on the box u have u may actually be better off with just 1 sub in it prefabs are always to small and tuned to high, that box maybe perfect for 1 sub idk, put up a pic or link to tht box..
The SA is rated at 750 rms and I've seen them handle almost three times that power. They are pretty stout thermally. OP is definitely doing something wrong. Very dirty signal or the wiring is screwed up.

The SA is rated at 750 rms and I've seen them handle almost three times that power. They are pretty stout thermally. OP is definitely doing something wrong. Very dirty signal or the wiring is screwed up.
Daily beating ? Or quick burp

Op, rewire that other sub to proper ohm load and don't listen to your buddy next time. Listen/read to what we have to say based on experience with car audio.

So I'm guessing this is bad from the smell alone. I have two sa 12s and they are in a base Works box right now and I have a Phoenix Gold sx1200.1 running them. My buddy thought it would be a good idea to just hook one up and cuz I can't wire them down to one on because they are two ohm subs. So I just unhooked one sub and left it in the Box and hook the other sub up to 1 ohm. When I turn it up both subs are hitting like they're both hooked up but only one is hooked up the polarity is totally off of course I know just the air from one is making the other move I know that. But after playing for about 1 minute all ice melt is burnt voice coil so I figured something's not right. Is this going to hurt my Subs or my sub I should say if I continue to play it like this. I think the answer is obvious. I'm just wondering why it smelling like that is it burning the other voice coil or is it burning the voice coil on the only sub that's hooked up I have it ran from the amp negative to negative to negative from positive to positive to positive. I would just put them in a single box but I don't have a single box all I have is is dual box so should I just hook the other one back up and continue to run them at 2 ohms? And what would be a better amp to run these with the Phoenix Gold SX 1200.1 or a Kenwood kac-9106d?
I actually built a box myself for one of the subs and I am running the Phoenix Gold amp on it and it pretty much just quit for the first time. Anyway I build a 2.3 cubic foot box I'll try to take a picture and Link it but I'm having issues putting pictures up on here. I think I am going to run both of my Subs in that base Works box that is tuned for 34hz. It just really bothers me because I know that box is not big enough for both these Subs and I noticed such a huge difference from when I was running both of them in that space Works box it's the reference rb212 I think with a glossy front for 2 12s. Now in this new box that I made this one sub is flexing hard. I know the wiring is correct I'm hundred percent sure on that. I just can't think of anything else that I might be could it be that the box I built is tuned improperly?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.