Thump sound from subwoofer while HU is off

ilovehaus

I had a sub + amp installed the other day at a shop. The setup is an Alpine MRP-M500 amp and a 12" Type R subwoofer. Today I noticed when the key is in the on position but when the head unit is off, and when I tap on the panel trim on the inside of the car (driver's side) the sub makes a thump noise. The harder I hit it the louder the thump sound is. Does this mean they routed the power and speaker wires under the same panel, which I heard you're not supposed to do? Or could it be something else? The car is a 2009 VW if it matters. Thanks in advance.

Not completely certain what would cause this. Running rca's next to power wire would not cause it to thump. Sounds to me like they used a bad grounding location.

I had the same problem, as soon as I bought a new amp, it stopped...which is strange because the amp I replaced the one that thumped was the alpine mrp 1000.....

Either ground loop, bad ground, or bad amp. The fact that you can hit your panel and that causes the subwoofer to receive a signal is... Not good. Whoever installed that should probably be fired haha. Then again it could be a faulty amp.

Not completely certain what would cause this. Running rca's next to power wire would not cause it to thump. Sounds to me like they used a bad grounding location.
Had this happen with an old Memphis amp setup..relocated ground and made shorter which stopped it. Also, be sure the place where it is grounded is metal to metal contact. I know it sounds silly but a lot of people miss that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.