WalMart 4 Guage Wire

Originally posted by evo2k3 I dont belive that wire is wire, however, I would conceed that in the short term decent wire will most likley preform almost the same as "high grade" wire. As for the W7 fight, no doubt the XXX carries more output than the w7, however, in listening to it I felt there was a sacrafice in quality (which is the basis for my system). The fight between the brahma and the w7 is VERY VERY close, with no reguard to cost. Ill be honest that I bought the w7 to impress people, lots of people have JL products, but not to many kids my age bump with W7's. I thought the w7 had a slight edge over the brahma in quality, and almost identicle in output. If blind folded, I dont know many people who could tell the difference. With knowlegde you learn, I probably droped about 200 more than I needed to on the W7 for an almost identicle result with the brahma, but oh well I have been very happy with it and as I said I am not as concerned with spl and would have steared away from the XXX because of its power needs and decreases quality.....and yet another JL battle has spawned, but i just thought I would share my side, becuase I think my opinion is a pretty decent comprimise.
Now don't get me wrong, I see why paying for the JL name is cool, but is it really worth 200 dollars? Anyway, output wise, XXX. Your exactly right on that. BUT I have seen 1 W7 blow personally (no abuse, clean power by a 1000/1). The w7 is an awesome woofer with amazing potential, but I believe personally that the Brahma is a better all around sub. Same serves true for the XXX. I agree, it is all in opinion. In fact, I'm negotiating to get a W7 as we speak.

I have since matured a bit....now I would rather have an no-name (even though it really isn't a no name brand) like adire than JL, its that much better when your kicking their ass. What does a 12 brahma go for? I paid around 540 for my w7, so I am not sure how much cost difference there is. wow....your the first one I have heard of that has seen a w7 blow, bare in mind that manufaters do make "lemons" every now and then, I think that happens with any brand. Dont know a ton about brahma's, what kind of power do they want? I am considering selling my w7 and any input would be great, I want to go into smaller subs, 10's, or mabey the new 8w7 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ....but mabey a pair of 10 brahma may be the way to go.

Originally posted by evo2k3 I have since matured a bit....now I would rather have an no-name (even though it really isn't a no name brand) like adire than JL, its that much better when your kicking their ass. What does a 12 brahma go for? I paid around 540 for my w7, so I am not sure how much cost difference there is. wow....your the first one I have heard of that has seen a w7 blow, bare in mind that manufaters do make "lemons" every now and then, I think that happens with any brand. Dont know a ton about brahma's, what kind of power do they want? I am considering selling my w7 and any input would be great, I want to go into smaller subs, 10's, or mabey the new 8w7 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ....but mabey a pair of 10 brahma may be the way to go.
You have AIM??? I can talk with you in further detail about it...I too am looking into an 8W7

Originally posted by evo2k3 I have since matured a bit....now I would rather have an no-name (even though it really isn't a no name brand) like adire than JL, its that much better when your kicking their ass. What does a 12 brahma go for? I paid around 540 for my w7, so I am not sure how much cost difference there is. wow....your the first one I have heard of that has seen a w7 blow, bare in mind that manufaters do make "lemons" every now and then, I think that happens with any brand. Dont know a ton about brahma's, what kind of power do they want? I am considering selling my w7 and any input would be great, I want to go into smaller subs, 10's, or mabey the new 8w7 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ....but mabey a pair of 10 brahma may be the way to go.
12" Brahma goes for $369...they can take over 1600 watts...

5 years ago, I bought a Canadian tire Wiring kit (25FT 4Ga Power, 5FT 4Ga Ground, 25 FT 18ga Remote, 2 X 25ft RCA's, Fuse holder, two fuses, and terminals) for about $40 ($30 USD).

I've used it to carry as much as 150 Amps (when boosting off my stereo's battery because I left my Fogs on again) and never had a problem.

While I agree that Flexability improves with price, is flexability more important than current carrying ability. Personally, I'd rather pay less for wire that you bolt in place to route as long as it will carry the power.

I also agree that Solid core wire can carry more curent than multi-strand. Multistrand wire has gaps between the strands (take a few barrels and line them up in a filled circle so that there are NO gaps, can't do it), Solid core wire doesn't have these gaps and so has "more wire" which means more current (at least thats why I use larger wires for high power systems)

Lemme help a bit..

wire is wire, depending on if you keep 'classes' of wire together.. Meaning.. You can't compare solid wire with no flex to 2000+ strand wire (for the same current carrying capacity) flex.. isn't reasonable.. that's like trying to compare apples and oranges.. they are both friut, but not the same kind.. Oranges and Grapefruit, now that's a better comparison, right?

As far as Oxygen free copper.. The only time you 'truely' gain serious benifit from buying 'oxy free' copper is if the wire is SEALED.. Not just in the insulation, but tinned.. If it's not tinned, you can STILL get oxygen to touch the copper and cause oxidation.. The whole reason for trying to keep the O2 out is to prevent oxidation which chemically changes the copper into a non-conductive material (well, much less conductive than clean copper).. You can buy oxy free copper and cut the insulation in a few places (like where it's being shaped around metal edges?) and the oxy free goes out the window (unless, of course, it's TINNED).. The ends are the same way.. unless each strand is tinned, the part that you are using for your connection will oxidize over time.. What do you think happens to battery cable ends (not so much anymore on newer cars, they are typically sealed-ish)?

Now, flexability is a different issue.. But, I ask you, how flexable does a power wire have to be? I have 2 AWG welding wire.. it comes through the firewall and makes a 90 degree bend, the farthest from the wall it is is about 1/2" (inside, then the thickness of the wire comes into play).. then it runs under the dash and makes another 90 degree at the center console.. When I got it (shipped from UPS), the 25 ft of cable was in a loop that was barely over 1 ft in diameter.. Now.. this is welding wire.. Not sure about you, but I've been in shops (dirty places) where the arc welder has been used daily for 8 to 10 years without replacing the cables.. Maybe an electrode holder or cut the end off the wire to get back to cleaner copper.. but still, that's a long time.. And, I'll gaurentee that the insulation on that wire will out perform/last any car audio insulation.. and it's very flexable and it's black (some of us don't like having bright shiny wires :p )..

Bottom line.. If you find a 'stranded' wire that carries your 100 amperes for $20, or you can buy some name brand stranded oxy free 'super flexable' pretty colored wire for $75.. guess what... you really are dumb if you buy the name brand wire (unless you really really really feel the need for the color/name).. You will NOT see a difference in the power delivered to your system.. wire is wire is wire (for power applications, and conceding that we are talking about reasonable strand count.. in the context of Wallmart versus Stinger, both power wires will perform the exact same)..

As a side note, you can get more carrying capacity from solid wire of the same 'final' diameter (say both wires measure 1/2" across) as stranded.. why? as pointed out, strands leave gaps.. the solid wire at 1/2" has more material to pass the current with.. The only reason you won't use 0 AWG solid wire in a car is because you kind of need a tube bender to shape it.. hard to do while passing it through a firewall //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I had not thought of this before, however, you guys bring up the point with gaps.....using that logic (which sounds logical)....that is why more strands conduct better right? smaller gaps than big strands. Now I am sure there is a point where the difference because neglagable and from what all of you say the wall mart wire is at the standard, beyond there mabey flexability improves....I think we had trouble deciding what we were comparing, I was comparing home depot wire (4 guage has about 20 strands at most) to something 1000+ strands, I think you will find a difference there (i did when I changed over), but you guys seem to compare 2000 strand walmart to mabey a little more, like 2500 strand stinger wire.....if that is the case, I would agree with the neglagable difference between the two.

Originally posted by evo2k3 I had not thought of this before, however, you guys bring up the point with gaps.....using that logic (which sounds logical)....that is why more strands conduct better right? smaller gaps than big strands. Now I am sure there is a point where the difference because neglagable and from what all of you say the wall mart wire is at the standard, beyond there mabey flexability improves....I think we had trouble deciding what we were comparing, I was comparing home depot wire (4 guage has about 20 strands at most) to something 1000+ strands, I think you will find a difference there (i did when I changed over), but you guys seem to compare 2000 strand walmart to mabey a little more, like 2500 strand stinger wire.....if that is the case, I would agree with the neglagable difference between the two.
Yes, for the 'size', 20 strands is a LOT less conductive (relativly) than even 500+.. yes, the more strands the closer to 'solid' you come as far conductivity, but more flexability..

haha i bought some 2guage wire from lowes, got 25ft for like 10 bux, cuz the guy was like well i just cut off a lil bit extra just in case, so the wire is like 10 copper wires and it's harder than a ***** to wire, but i got it in their and it plays just fine, getting a new car(finally) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif so i gotta take all that **** back out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.