What kind of improvements will I get sound-wise by installing an amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xenofactor07
10+ year member

I'm definitely a noob with car audio, but have started down this path. I've replaced my door speakers with component Focal's and my rear speakers with Focal 6x9s. I have a Kenwood head unit as well.

The door speakers are rated for 50W RMS, and the rear speakers for 60W RMS. The Kenwood head unit puts out 25W x 4.

I've noticed even at medium volumes (say 60%) that the bass starts to fall out and the highs dominate, but they are also a bit muffled.

My question is, if I were to install a 4 channel amp (say 50W x 4).. What kind of improvements would I get sound wise? I know for sure I'll have more volume.. But I'm more interested in clarity. Will all frequencies be enhanced on the spectrum?

Anything you can offer would be great. Thanks for your time.

Ok if you are running the speakers off the deck's internal amp those speakers are not getting enough juice to reach there full potential. The lack of performance can be attributed directly to that. Getting a 4 channel amp will do a lot to increase the bass levels and mids. Focals inherently are a little bright for my ears, if your HU has an equlizer you can turn the highs down some from there.

Thanks for the replies fellas. West, you said they're not reaching their full potential. You're speaking of the 50W right? Now, my head unit obviously can never attain that. But an amp could. Does 50W occur at a certain volume level (like 75% as an example) or is it constantly being pushed to the speakers with a 50 x 4 amp?

Thanks for the replies fellas. West, you said they're not reaching their full potential. You're speaking of the 50W right? Now, my head unit obviously can never attain that. But an amp could. Does 50W occur at a certain volume level (like 75% as an example) or is it constantly being pushed to the speakers with a 50 x 4 amp?
There is a "gain" knob on the amp. This dictates the degree of amplification, you can set this to whatever level you wish. A lot of people recommend setting the gains a little higher (set 75% volume from the deck to 50w) so if you have low volume music you can pump it up higher. You should set gains with a digital multimeter and test tones. There are good videos on youtube on how to do this. Also make sure that deck has RCA outs to get the signal to the amp.

Dont overdrive your speakers. Clipping kills speakers.

Ok, so the deck probably has a volume level from 0 to say 50. The HU sends a signal (in the form of a voltage) via RCA cables to the amplifier. The amplifier takes this signal and amplifies it, the voltage being sent to each speaker can be measured with a digital mulitmeter. If you have speakers with a resistance of 4ohms (what you probably have), you can calculate the power being sent to each speaker. P (power in watts) = V^2 (the voltage measured from the amp to each speaker)/R (the resistance of each speaker). P should equal 50W if you run a 1 khz test tone at the deck at 75% volume, the tone you can find/download via a google search.

I am copying that post and saving it. Thanks West you've been a great help! I'll be back if I have more questions.
No problem.

You can also do this carefully by ear. Turn your gains all the way down, power the HU and put in a CD and set the volume on the deck to 75% volume. Gradually turn up the gains until it sounds loud but clear. Also get a decient pair of RCAs so you dont get noise.

Lots of good videos on how to do this. Search youtube and it may be helpful. Search Setting Gains on amp

Two things to add to this... first, if using a test tone to set amp power level you must disconnect the speakers first. Othewise you'll blow them out.

Second, don't limit yourself to a 50W amp. Get something bigger than you need. You'll appreciate having some head room, and the ability to drive more powerful speakers in the future if you desire.

Two things to add to this... first, if using a test tone to set amp power level you must disconnect the speakers first. Othewise you'll blow them out.
Second, don't limit yourself to a 50W amp. Get something bigger than you need. You'll appreciate having some head room, and the ability to drive more powerful speakers in the future if you desire.
Yup ^^^

Always a good idea to get some extra power (like 100wx4 @4 ohms). Do some research to find one in your price range and get one that will hold up. Not all amps sound the same...

Just don't overdrive your speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.