Alex's Silverado

Got the alternators mounted and pulled all my old wiring. Unfortunately, because I got the triple output posts, I couldn't group all the GP alternators together. The post off the edge hit on the bracket, so I had to move the stock alt over. The stock alt's post is off the back. Next, I'll be wiring them up with the blue box regulators.

image1%203_zpsava2syr4.jpg

At Lowe's, I found an outdoor electrical junction box that fits nicely where the second battery would be if my truck was a diesel. It's plastic and will do nicely to contain all my fuse holders between the caps and alternators.

image2%201_zpsctzsdgiq.jpg

Pulling my oldest ground wire, I found that the insulation wore off under my truck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Luckily, it was a ground and not a positive wire. It was in a spot I didn't think would rub

image3%201_zpsg7bv3imy.jpg

Now I've got to see how much of the wire was contaminated by air/water/salt around the exposed area. I'd like to reuse as much of the wire as possible.

This I've done several builds

The regulator is not GM. It's similar to 99-06 chrysler alternators that were externally regulated. Here is the pinout. 1 is green and 2 is black

s-l1600.jpg
That's weird.....they did it to confuse ya...?!

Housing electrical green is typically ground. Way different than car electrical.

That's weird.....they did it to confuse ya...?!
Housing electrical green is typically ground. Way different than car electrical.
Yeah, but I'm still confused about wiring them to the blue boxes.

The Transpo regulators have three terminals: positive, ground, and field

Wow that ***** ! I love the new Alts !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Yeah, but I'm still confused about wiring them to the blue boxes.
The Transpo regulators have three terminals: positive, ground, and field

Thanks!
Positive goes to positive

Neg goes to neg

Field wire goes to switched 12v source

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Positive goes to positiveNeg goes to neg

Field wire goes to switched 12v source

No.

The regulator's negative terminal is grounded. The positive terminal is connected to switched 12v+ power. The field terminal is the output that goes to the alternator.

I am wondering what to do with the two alternator pins and the field output terminal from the regulator.

Have you ever used one of these?

No.
The regulator's negative terminal is grounded. The positive terminal is connected to switched 12v+ power. The field terminal is the output that goes to the alternator.

I am wondering what to do with the two alternator pins and the field output terminal from the regulator.

Have you ever used one of these?
Yeah negative does go ground same **** as negative..

But field is what gets the regulator up and going.. Positive is what identifies the power from reg sensor..

If you had a 4 wire transpo then the orange wire would be 12v ignition.

Isnt it a 3 wire transpo with red, green, black?

And yes i had 2

Yeah negative does go ground same **** as negative..
But field is what gets the regulator up and going.. Positive is what identifies the power from reg sensor..

If you had a 4 wire transpo then the orange wire would be 12v ignition.

Isnt it a 3 wire transpo with red, green, black?

And yes i had 2

I'm sitting here looking at the printed installation guide that came with the regulator.

Field is NOT what excites the regulator. It is a three wire regulator. The positive terminal is switched power and the field terminal goes to the alternator.

Tell me this: If the positive and negative are connected to constants and the field terminal is connected to switched power, then what goes to the alternator?

The information I need is what to do with the alternator plug wires. My best guess would be to run the "field +" wire to the field terminal on the regulator and ground the "field -" wire.

I'm sitting here looking at the printed installation guide that came with the regulator.
Field is NOT what excites the regulator. It is a three wire regulator. The positive terminal is switched power and the field terminal goes to the alternator.

Tell me this: If the positive and negative are connected to constants and the field terminal is connected to switched power, then what goes to the alternator?

The information I need is what to do with the alternator plug wires. My best guess would be to run the "field +" wire to the field terminal on the regulator and ground the "field -" wire.
To make it easier yes your guess is right..

Im half way drunk bro..

You can run the positive wire aka bat wire to the alt post if your really wanted too.

I used a relay..

To make it easier yes your guess is right..
Im half way drunk bro..

You can run the positive wire aka bat wire to the alt post if your really wanted too.

I used a relay..

ok, positive still needs to be switched so it doesn't drain batteries

I still stand by my opinion that 6 of the SDA3 15s in a ported wall with a good design would be much louder than anything you've tried so far. There just isn't enough room inside the cab to do a bandpass with a lot of cone area while maintaining good airspace and ratios.

Our 4th order for 8 SDA3 15s is 48 cubes of airspace, not counting the displacement of the subs and the enclosure itself. It's doing a 161 (for now, we need to work on several issues robbing from the score) two Taramps Bass 12k wired at 1 ohm each, 7 d3100s, and a single 320a alternator. We gave out 100+ demos 2 Saturdays ago at Slamology with very little downtime. You can downsize your power and electrical a LOT and still be very loud and demo all day, and practical to drive daily. With a solid design, around 10k clamped should net you around a 160 with a musical wall.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.