Anyone run a cab-45 below 1 ohm?

djdilliodon!

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
Building my demo car and about to start building the subs. I’ve done the subs in dual 1, dual 1.4, and dual 2 ohm. I have two dual 1.4’s left and don’t feel like waiting for the dual 1’s to come in (gonna be some time, I ordered a ton of them). Anyone ever run a cab-45 under 1 ohm? If so how is it doing? I’ll run it at .7 and of course I’ll grab the extended warranty just incase 😂.

Send apex a message or check out their facebook page as a lot of their customers are there posting what they are running them at. I know the Cab-22's people were running those a .5ohm with good results. Cab-45 is just the bigger brother. Also I think if you run them below 1 ohm they won't honor the warranty.

Can't wait to pick up a Cab-45. I have the Cab-22 and love it. The SIA will be gone when I get that Cab-45,lol.

Send apex a message or check out their facebook page as a lot of their customers are there posting what they are running them at. I know the Cab-22's people were running those a .5ohm with good results. Cab-45 is just the bigger brother. Also I think if you run them below 1 ohm they won't honor the warranty.

Can't wait to pick up a Cab-45. I have the Cab-22 and love it. The SIA will be gone when I get that Cab-45,lol.

Worst case I can always run it at 1.4 ohm. I’ll check out the Facebook page and see what I can find. If nothing there I’ll give them a call.

If you cannot afford to be breaking amps I wouldn't suggest running anything below 1 ohm, least of all "budget" brand Chinese made ones. Really I'd say if you can't afford to be breaking amps you probably shouldn't be getting into the 5K stuff at all as even the "good" ones are iffy IMO and even best case scenario and repair is under warranty it'll probably cost you 100$ just to ship it back and forth for service.

If you cannot afford to be breaking amps I wouldn't suggest running anything below 1 ohm, least of all "budget" brand Chinese made ones. Really I'd say if you can't afford to be breaking amps you probably shouldn't be getting into the 5K stuff at all as even the "good" ones are iffy IMO and even best case scenario and repair is under warranty it'll probably cost you 100$ just to ship it back and forth for service.

most certainly ain’t worried about the money side of things, its about it not being able to do it (going into protect, cutting out etc) and the amp breaking is more of an inconvenience thing for me. Im well aware of the Chinese, Brazilian, Korean amps, heck I’ve done business with many of the build houses. Thing is the good old days are done, or I’d be on the phone with us amps ordering some stuff as I use to be a dealer for them. Just so u are aware I’m not sure if you know who I am, but I’m far from a newb. I’ve been on these forums since the early 2000’s and was a dealer for many brands. My original account I can’t use as I no longer have access to my old email address. Got out of the retail end of things in 2007-2008. I did a lot of tech support and R&D work with cdt audio back in the days along with others. Now here is a newb question, aren’t they all “budget” brand amps now a days built across about 3-4 different factories lol? Or am I missing something here which is most certainly possible lol?

Now here is a newb question, aren’t they all “budget” brand amps now a days built across about 3-4 different factories lol?
I'd say that S&I and Zenon can still make some pretty abuse resistant amps, but the thing is in dealing with those far east buildhouses is that they'll give you what you order/pay for. If you ask for a 4500W amp that'll have a good chance of surviving .5 ohm they can probably deliver, if you ask for a 4500W amp that you can buy for 300$ a pop they'll cut corners until they can make you something that more or less fits the bill.

Even American shops are like this to some extent. Nobody really ran around saying that AC Delco made an amazing head unit, but when Rockford had their first run of head units in the mid 90s they were made by Delco (to RF specs) and were some of the highest quality source units on the market at the time. Hell, even China can manufacture good electronics and do so for all of the top name brands, the catch is someone like Alpine or Kicker isn't going there to try to cut cost to rock bottom and has the ability to enforce their required level of quality control and will do their own R&D in house.

The point being, the difference between a 600$ MSRP 5K amp and a 1200$ MSRP 5K amp isn't just because some companies are greedy and others are selling amps at a loss and we should expect the cost cuts to reveal themselves over time or under stress.

Anyway, for what it's worth I'd consider the quality of electronics you can source from Korea these days to be about the modern equivalent of buying electronics from Japan in the 80/90s, they've been at it a long time now and while they still don't have any great innovators, they are doing low cost and build quality as good as we could do domestic. And generally speaking companies who just slap their name brand on something out of a catalog (basically everybody selling a 5k+ amp) aren't trying to get high quality from China, they're shopping there for low cost first and foremost.

All that aside, .5 ohm is absolutely torturous on semiconductors any way you slice it and you really should be planning on enjoying hit or miss ability to keep things out of protect and premature and potentially catastrophic failure if you want to play the half ohm game.

I bet it'll sing on 0.5 ohm. It's a half bridge design and I bet you have more than 2x impedance rise anyway. I've seen them ran at 0.5 ohm several times. I've seen people run Taramps MD series at 0.5 ohm if they rise over 1 ohm just fine.

Keep in mind I don't know what I'm talking about.

I bet it'll sing on 0.5 ohm. It's a half bridge design and I bet you have more than 2x impedance rise anyway. I've seen them ran at 0.5 ohm several times. I've seen people run Taramps MD series at 0.5 ohm if they rise over 1 ohm just fine.

Keep in mind I don't know what I'm talking about.

i can just run it at 1.4 ohm, as long as it can do 4K or close to that I’ll be golden. It’s a wall build so a few 100’s watts isn’t gonna be night and day anyone 😂

i can just run it at 1.4 ohm, as long as it can do 4K or close to that I’ll be golden. It’s a wall build so a few 100’s watts isn’t gonna be night and day anyone 😂
If you are debating 0.7 vs 1.4 final impedance I would strongly urge you to go for 0.7 if you want to get the most out of the system. I would eat my dick if you blew a cab-45 at 0.7 ohms on solid electrical. Or just go for an amp that does more power. Not going to get even close to 4000w if you are starting at 1.4 ohms.

If you are debating 0.7 vs 1.4 final impedance I would strongly urge you to go for 0.7 if you want to get the most out of the system. I would eat my dick if you blew a cab-45 at 0.7 ohms on solid electrical. Or just go for an amp that does more power. Not going to get even close to 4000w if you are starting at 1.4 ohms.

ill run it at the .7 and I hope for your sake, you are right 😂🤣.

Worst case I can always run it at 1.4 ohm. I’ll check out the Facebook page and see what I can find. If nothing there I’ll give them a call.
The cab 45 is rated to .5 ohm. I run mine at.5 and with box rise 1.5ohm so it never sees .5 load. You got nothing to worry about it will be fine. Only thing I've heard is it dont like over 15.5 volts, might have been user error, but 16v it smoked.

Went with a smart 5k, going to build some new subs in the next month or two with bigger motors and dual 1 ohm coils. I’ve maxed out the current setup and have metered it and seen what it’s fully capable of. Now gonna see if I can improve it.

Cab-45's are not 0.5 ohm rated. Neither are the Cab-22's. Yes you can run them at that and many do. But if you do the any warranty from them is invalid. I know one of the guys at Cab now after so many emails.

Went with a smart 5k, going to build some new subs in the next month or two with bigger motors and dual 1 ohm coils. I’ve maxed out the current setup and have metered it and seen what it’s fully capable of. Now gonna see if I can improve it.
Smart 5 or smart 5 bass? I like my smart5 bass but i don't love it.

I'm curious to see how popwar's goat reacts to this bump.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...