Box leaking air??

my_stealth21
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tulsa,OK
Ok so I got a prefab box from sonic electonics , its 1.3 cu ft and its ported. Well first of all when I went to put my DC level 3 in there the basket wouldnt fit in the **** hole. ( most cheap subs dont use the nice 8-12 spoke cast baskets) Im guessing this is why IDK. So I had to notch out little spaces where each spoke goes. Then when I put it in the box only some of the screws found MDF to screw to (about 4-5 out of 8.) So heres the deal when im playing the sub I know the air is leaking from around it but its making this really rattleing sound at the cone, ( the bass is loud) but that sound from the cone sounds like ****. Its not the sub because I put another sub in and tested it and it did the exact same thing. Is this sound caused by the leaking air????

use the foamy shaving cream around where u think the leak is and turn it on see if air comes out.....pics of the box? and why would u knotch out each space for the basket and not cut the whole a tad bit bigger?

I dont have the right tools lol. and I know its leaking I can feel the air coming out when I but my hand by a side of the sub where the screws didnt catch any MDF. Does this leaking cause the subs cone to make that rattling sound??

it could be the sub jumping around in that hole you created, it could the box could have a broken joint somewhere. its really something we have to have a vid or a hands on thing. i am just gonna say build you a custom box an throw that prefab out in the pasture lol

Its definatly coming from the cone of the sub, But its not the sub because I tested it with another sub and it did the exact same thing, Its a very Rattley type of sound from the cone area when the bass hits. cant hear it in the car but I know its not right and its ****in annoying. Also I dont want to damage the sub. I want to just have a box built to specs Does anyone know someone on here that can build a box in the L.A. area??

take sub out and look at it to see if its damaged maybe coil unwound. also try free air on low vol if that dont work maybe silicone the edges in box and find a gasket or something to add over hole so it gets a tighter fit.

yea I would if I could find one none of the prefab boxes I ever find are 1.25 cu ft ported and im afraid the **** hole will be to small again and the basket wont fit that **** pissed me off.

OK well im positive its not the sub I just got it today and Ive also tested another sub I know thats perfect in the box like I said since I had to notch out those spaces for the basket to fix only about 4 of the screws to hold the sub down are actually serving a purpose the others dont catch the MDF ( because my dumbass notched out spaces for the basket to fit). I know its leaking air around the sub I felt it with my hand. I just wanna know if thats why the sub is making that sound. Its not a hardcore rattling sound its like if you put a plastic bag in front of a port hole. but its the sub cone making that noise. Again its not the sub I have tested two diff subs twice in this box and they both make that stupid ass noise.

get a bigger gasket and silicon the outside edge of the gasket....make sure its down tight and thats why u get a custom box built so it will fit ur sub

a box built for $60? Where u gonna find that. Hell my cheapest box is $100 to build. But yea sounds like u effed up the box. Try adding duct tape around it a few layers and it might seal. May look like crap but might work.

If you want to try and keep that box why don't you drill new holes for the screws that didn't line up? Or drill all new holes so the sub is centered over the hole if it's not right now.

Just take the carpet off the front of the box, and make a baffle to glue over the old one, it will make it a better box because of the double baffle.. Just wood glue, and either nails or screws to secure it good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...