Burning rubber smell???

I just installed my 2 obsidian 15's about four days ago. Just tonight I was knocking them hard (with some decaf) and I smelled a burning rubber smell. The SECOND I smelled it I shut the head unit off and turned the gain on the EBC down. I went to the trunk and it smelled really strong. I put the volume at 20 (out of 35) and I listened to some bass notes and both the woofers still move. Did I just **** this whole thing up or can I salvage this? Will my woofers work tomorrow morning? I am freaking out right now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I don't want all this work and money to be for nothing!!!

prob just heated up the coils or if they are new could be just be extra glue burning off. If your worried though i'd turn the gain down and take it easy on them. Should be fine in morning.

So the subs were fine and I turned everything down. Then tonight I went to set my gain properly with a dmm. I set bass, mid, and treble to 0. I made sure that both loudness and bass boost were off, and I put the subwoofer lvl at 0 as well. I turned the gain, bass boost, phase, and subsonic filter all the way down and the low pass all the way up. Then I disconnected the subs and put the dmm on the amp. I have a bk1300.1d running at 1 ohm so I set my gain (voltage) to 36.06 respectively...here's the thing though, I had to put the gain on the amp ALL the way up to reach 36.1. I also had the ebc connected and set to the exact middle, and after I turned the gain all the way up on the amp I still had to turn it up on the ebc to reach 36.1! I feel like I did something wrong but I'm not sure...

I have a Kenwood KDC-352u. I will put the sub level on +5 tomorrow and reset it but what about the bass boost and phase align on the amp? Am I supposed to leave the settings EXACTLY where they are at all times? I still want to knock, I don't want to have quiet bass all the time...

I have a Kenwood KDC-352u. I will put the sub level on +5 tomorrow and reset it but what about the bass boost and phase align on the amp? Am I supposed to leave the settings EXACTLY where they are at all times? I still want to knock, I don't want to have quiet bass all the time...
You should set your gain with the remote gain knob all the way up so you can't go over your max setting, and some headunits should have the bass maxed out when you are setting the gain so they are sending full voltage though the preouts, try again with those settings and see if it makes a difference.

With Kenwoods leave everything flat. I set my gains at a volume of 30 out of 35.

If you find you're having to crank the gain ALL the way up, you're doing something wrong. Wired too high maybe?

If you're ever going to use your bass boost on the amp (which you should actually never do), then that needs to be turned up before setting the gain as well.

Wired too high maybe?
What does this mean? I have the 2 Obsidian 15" wired to 1 ohm. I am using a BK1300.1D amp. When I play music I usually but the bass to -8 because it sounds lower and cleaner instead of at 0. Should I leave it at 0 all the time?

What does this mean? I have the 2 Obsidian 15" wired to 1 ohm. I am using a BK1300.1D amp. When I play music I usually but the bass to -8 because it sounds lower and cleaner instead of at 0. Should I leave it at 0 all the time?
You're positive you're correctly wired to 1 ohm?

Leave it at 0 when you set the gain, turn it down if you need to.

View attachment 26543963

You're positive you're correctly wired to 1 ohm?Leave it at 0 when you set the gain, turn it down if you need to.
This is exactly how I wired them: on each sub I connected the positives together and I connected the negatives together. Then on each sub I ran a wire from one of the positives and one of the negatives to one output. So at that point (where I connect the speakers) all the negatives are together and all the positives are together.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.