Dual Voice coils

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gman6325

CarAudio.com Newbie
On a dual voice coil sub, each coil should be separate, correct? I have a dual voice coil sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils. They each measure fine separately. If I measure across the 2 voice coils, I get very low ohms ( short) like they are connected together. This doesn't seem normal to me. The reason I measure across the 2 coils is because I noticed that when I wired the 2 coils in series, I was getting only 2 ohms when it should be 4 ohms wired that way. This is when I found that the 2 coils were shorted together somehow.

On a dual voice coil sub, each coil should be separate, correct? I have a dual voice coil sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils. They each measure fine separately. If I measure across the 2 voice coils, I get very low ohms ( short) like they are connected together. This doesn't seem normal to me. The reason I measure across the 2 coils is because I noticed that when I wired the 2 coils in series, I was getting only 2 ohms when it should be 4 ohms wired that way. This is when I found that the 2 coils were shorted together somehow.
You are correct, something is amiss. What sub is it?

I asked cause some subs use switches or special jumper wires, but I think this one does not. Have you checked for wire strands on the spider? Have you measured positive to positive and neg to neg? Do it without wires, just the test leads.
Never thought about checking for wire strands. This is a friends speakers. I repaired his amp that was blown and I'm hooking up the 2 subs in parallel to get 2 ohms but I couldn't get the 4 ohms out of that 1 speaker. The other speaker is fine though. I will go check now for wire strands but I don't think this is the issue since the amp was blown. I had a burnt ground trace on the power supply side of the board and changed a signal diode and PNP on the audio side driver board which was part of the protection circuit. Probably heated up the coils as well is what I am thinking.

Last edited:
I asked cause some subs use switches or special jumper wires, but I think this one does not. Have you checked for wire strands on the spider? Have you measured positive to positive and neg to neg? Do it without wires, just the test leads.
I get 3 ohms from positive of 1 coil to positive of the other. I get .8 ohms from negative to negative

Not saying you do not know how to do this, but just for reference to check for for sure. 1.8 ohms is within limitations for 2 ohms. No sub is perfect @ ohms or the same.

Last edited:
I get 3 ohms from positive of 1 coil to positive of the other. I get .8 ohms from negative to negative
You need to check each coil of poss and nega. not neg to neg or Poss to Poss with a Multimeter to read the final Ohm load per coil. No wire should be hooked up at the amplifier or jumpers on the subs you have.

Not saying you do not know how to do this, but just for reference to check for for sure. 1.8 ohms is within limitations for 2 ohms. No sub is perfect @ ohms or the same.

I am not talking about the individual coils. They test fine across each of them. I was talkin about from coil to coil. Shouldn't be low ohms.

You need to check each coil of poss and nega. not neg to neg or Poss to Poss with a Multimeter to read the final Ohm load per coil. No wire should be hooked up at the amplifier or jumpers on the subs you have.
Exactly what I did. They test fine each one by itself but if its a 2 ohm coil then wiring them up in series you should get 4 ohms which I could never get so I decided to check across the 2 coils and they are shorted together

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...