Mounting Speakers in Door

Participant count
  • Participant list

Devil Tiger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just came across some 7 or 8 inch mids and was wanting to add them to my setup but am unsure on the easiest and most cost effective way. I would rather not glass at ALL. There is no tweeter at the moment (I blew it) but don't worry about that I can figure that out by myself.

Right now I have on each side:

6.5" mid

7/8" mid

3" mid

I could do without the 3" s I just put them in there to see how long until they blew (which they haven't yet).

I have already figured out how I'm going to power them and such, just need advice on how to mount.

That isn't the final spot for the 7" I just stuck it on the door to have it in the picture.

I think you are going to need a new panel that doesn't have that pocket in it...looks like my door panel with that damn pocket in the bottom of the door panel.

Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. Don't those blocked over speakers sound all muffled? To me it just looks like all your doing is vibrating your door panel.

start by building MDF baffles to mount the speakers to. resin them to waterproof them. then deaden the entire door and seal up the openings - you can use deadened sheet metal and sheet metal screws so the panels are removable for access. without these steps, using a 7" driver is pointless since you won't have any midbass without deadening and seals.

after you give yourself an airspace suitable for a 7" driver, you cannot put another mid in the same door cavity or the 7" will pressurize the cone and distort it. if it is a closed back mid or dome mid then they can share airspace.

door panel modifications can look good with fiberglass. without fg, it won't look as nice since you have to cut the panel but don't have the ability to contour the panel to mate up with the speakers. you could use clay and carpet for a finished product that looks a bit better, but i won't look factory. keep in mind how your door panel removes - some have to shift up before coming out and it should clear the speakers. you can use/make new grills. Parts Express sells expanded metal grills in larger sizes that can be cut to fit an area, even bent to make a contour.

don't put a mid behind you or beside you. that location is pointless and a waste of time. get it high on the door near the dash. just replace the factory 6.5" with the 7" - then you can just open up the factory grill.

imag0166a.jpg

you'll want to enlarge the woofer opening and replace the grill with a new one sized for the speaker. toughest part will be cutting a perfect hole with a jig saw - take your time. the tweeter location can be the new midrange home - again enlarge the hole and put in a grill. that mid will produce tweeter frequencies anyway.

imag0167s.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.