TC Sound Epic 8

for clean accurate smooth bass? how so? and want i want is a smooth, fast transitioning, flat, accurate, musical bass, want to drop it to about 20-25hz and not sound hollow, and most of all NO port wind noise because the port would be facing forward about 3 ft from me. I want it to sound like a REALLY great premium stock sound system (even though i am coming from the Harman Kardon premium sound system lol, it just distorted at low frequency play). Not somthing someone added an over powering amount of bass to to impress there friends. I want balance. I listen to all genres of music from classical, country, alternative to rap. so a flat response is very important
Then put it in a sealed enclosure critically damped. If the T/S specs listed for that subwoofer are pretty close to your actual one, it is one of the rare cases i've seen where in a normal sized box your QTC will actually be below .5.

According to this calculator, 0.21 cubic feet would do the trick, but you should probably try a couple different ones as well.

As some have already suggested, small sealed or small PR is the way you want to go with this driver. Be sure to have gobs of power on tap for headroom and the equalization that you will need to apply to reach your goal. Don't give up on the idea of subterranean output from this driver, either.

I once threw one in a grossly oversized enclosure tuned to 22hz with around 600w on it and it was amazing. Very authoritative output down to 16hz. Since it was tuned so low, the cone motion was controlled in the region I was most interested in applying EQ and power to. All that was left was to manage overexcursion in the frequencies just above tuning due to the enclosure being so large. It wasn't practical by any means but it served as a great example for some of those guys who like to nay-say about small drivers digging deep. Talk about smooth, I could run that driver wide open and still blend it seamlessly with the front stage. Anyway, good luck.

As some have already suggested, small sealed or small PR is the way you want to go with this driver. Be sure to have gobs of power on tap for headroom and the equalization that you will need to apply to reach your goal. Don't give up on the idea of subterranean output from this driver, either.
I once threw one in a grossly oversized enclosure tuned to 22hz with around 600w on it and it was amazing. Very authoritative output down to 16hz. Since it was tuned so low, the cone motion was controlled in the region I was most interested in applying EQ and power to. All that was left was to manage overexcursion in the frequencies just above tuning due to the enclosure being so large. It wasn't practical by any means but it served as a great example for some of those guys who like to nay-say about small drivers digging deep. Talk about smooth, I could run that driver wide open and still blend it seamlessly with the front stage. Anyway, good luck.
Thank you for your input. Ive heard of little beast drivers going low and with the "rated" 850 RMS i have on tap (actually fused at 120A) i think i should be able to accomplish the goal with the huge xmax on this sub. what PR would you suggest i use. Im not opposed to that idea a s ive ran an RE SE PR setup before.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of power, just don't forget the EQ. You might try this PR ----> Definitive Technology 10" Passive Radiator - 4ADC | eBay

I've got a couple, they're built well and excursion is there. Compliance is slightly on the stiff side of things but that's ideal for smaller enclosures and higher power, which sounds like your situation.You could use one or two and be fine either way. Adding mass might be in order if you want a very low tuning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.